Running in Place

December 3, 2008

A Sister's Love & More Holiday Happiness

Before I get to my photo for the day I have to document this: the love of a sister. Brinley shares a room with Cougar ... not always an easy thing. Since he learned to climb out of his crib the bedtime ritual has grown to include putting him BACK in his crib numerous times, locking him inside the room (since he thinks it's a game to come out of the room, tease Kendyl on the bottom bunk in the other room, and run to hide from me when I discover he has escaped). The routine went as usual tonight. When I went to unlock the door and check on them, this is what I found:Cougar had apparently climbed out of his crib one last time without coming and yanking on the door to let me know he was out. I'm sure he then climbed up to play with Brinley, tried to snuggle in, and she gave up her bed ... pillow and all ... to her brother. She never complains about having to share a room with him. In fact, she feels "lucky" that she is the one who got "chosen" to share with him. I hope one day that Cougar understands just how much his big sister loves him and is willing to sacrifice for him.

Along with the sights and sounds of the holiday season I ANXIOUSLY await one other thing ... the *tastes* of the season!! November 1st signals the shelves being covered in all things mint chocolate. Oh, how this gives me pleasure!!! Dreyer's Slow Churned Peppermint ice cream is a staple in our freezer from the first time I see it in the grocery store freezer to the day I dry my tears because it is no longer there. I lose count of the number of bags of mint M&Ms we go through this time of year. I mourned the loss of mint Kit Kats last year - I checked every store in the area for them to no avail. Oh, and did I mention Peppermint Chocolate Chip milkshakes from Chick-fil-A? Yup ... they're delish :) My ALL TIME fave this year was an unexpected find.Not only are they beyond delicious (so smooth, creamy, and perfectly minty) but they are *beautiful* ... a pearly metallic mint green color and chocolate brown. The best part about these little goodies? They are NOT only available during the holidays!!! I actually stumbled on them this summer and simply can't get enough. I'm pretty sure I buy a new package every time I am at Target (unless I already have a back-up in my pantry). The bad news about them? They are NOT only available during the holidays!!! Guess I'd better get running ... I hear my treadmill calling ;)

11 comments:

The Ridings said...

Brinley is such a sweet girl! Gotta love those big sisters.

Jill Knotwell said...

That is bad news that they are available year round. I always look forward to Christmas time for the Mint M&M's. They are a staple in our home too!

InkMom said...

Your kids have funny sleep issues . . . do you remember when I had to come back to Memphis for a sales meeting, and I stayed at your house? I will never forget Ashton screaming in the middle of the night, "My bankies! My bankies!" and poor Brinley (again -- cut this girl some slack) yelling, "Can someone PLEASE put her bankies on?!"

This was before the descent of my own brood, and I didn't know what to think! I laughed, and wondered at the things kids do.

Your children are hilarious.

Jen Wolff said...

That is so sweet! What a great big sister she is! Ahhh! Don't remind me of all those yummy goodies!I am still trying to recover from Thanksgiving. I had lost 20 lbs. since the Summer, I expect 10 will come back by holidays end. We had to scarifice the treadmill space for the Xmas tree. Sigh! Have a great time in Disneyland!

Larsens said...

Looks like you need to put a Jr. bed in Brinley's room.

I thought I was the only one who LOVES mint EVERYTHING. Love, love, love.

Heather said...

Ahh, this is why only children miss out. How adorable.

My Amanda has been besieged with food poisoning, so is quite ill too. I hope both our families can recuperate quickly.

Kari, I'm so glad to have met and befriended you through cyberspace. (hugs) And equally fun that we hang out at SM too. ;)

Unknown said...

I am not a big mint person, I do however like Mint chocolate chip ice cream. I did see Candy Cane oreos at Walmart and wondered if they would be good? I'm sure you (the queen of new goodies) has tried them are they good?

Unknown said...

Oh, and the pic of Brinley and Cougar is just about the sweetest thing ever! What a great big sister! What a Sweetie!

Camille said...

ok. i am a lover of anything mint chocolate so i had to share this most fab recipe. they are my big mint choc. cookies.
1 box brownie mix
2 boxes devils food (or any chocolate) cake mix
3/4 c. oil
3/4 c. water
3 eggs
mix with a wooden spoon (not a mixer!) form balls and bake at 350 for 9-10 minutes, do not overbake! when they come out top with an andes mint, wait for it to get soft and then spread with a knife. these seriously are tdf. my most favorite way to eat them is straight out of the freezer. it makes almost 4 doz. so i always put them in the freezer, infact that is the only way my family will eat them is when they are frozen. hope you like!

and i love the candy cane oreos...very yummy, not as strong as the regular mint creme oreos which i also love! sorry for the long comment ;)

Cameron Family said...

Brinley is a sweet heart. It's so neat to watch them love on their little brothers. I'm shocked that my girls still love Jack after the torture he puts them through!

Laurie said...

You are my kind of girl! Do you know how much I LOVE mint chocolate anything??? We were destined to be friends. Jeremy hates mint chocolate, which is fine because it means more for me!! ;)

Those are such cute pictures of Brinley and little Coug. What a good big sister!