Running in Place

December 17, 2008

Sing, Choirs of Angels

Today I got to finish up all of the treats from yesterday so they were ready to go for the young men tonight. They came over, frosted the sugar cookies, assembled the plates, and made deliveries to many families and individuals in our ward. I think they had a good time and I even had a few raving about my baking abilities and asking for recipes ... they are already learning how to charm their future wives ;) The kitchen was left a disaster but it cleaned up pretty quickly - totally worth getting to watch the boys show off their decorated cookies and plate assembling ablilities.While the boys were destroying my kitchen I was at the girls' school basking in the sounds of their choirs. Brinley and Ashton are both in choir this year and they love it. They missed auditions last year since we changed schools about 2 weeks into the school year so they were thrilled to have the chance to try out this year. They each have practice twice a week after school and have been preparing for this concert for months. Although it was a little on the long side (well over an hour) they did a fabulous job and had a wonderful time. I was playing videographer AND photographer tonight so my pictures are less than stellar but at least I have them :) I'm sure the video footage is 10 times worse since the boy sitting by me kept knocking my tripod. I made the pic of Brinley the "official" picture of the day since Ashton had a choir picture from the military base, but I had to include a photo of Ashton, too ... you can practically see where her tonsils used to be!!!I was reminded again tonight that there are too many parents that aren't teaching their children respect, manners, or discipline either. It was unreal the number of kids that were being completely disrespectful while the choirs were performing ... and their parents did nothing (or weren't even there). I stopped more than one group of rowdies to let them know they were being rude and that parents had come to hear their children sing - not to hear the rowdies beating each other with their shoes, climb on chairs, or chase each other and talk to their friends. I had more than one parent thank me for stepping in, too. It is always a fine line to correct other children's actions, I know, but sometimes the former teacher in me takes over and I have no tolerance for that type of behavior. Tonight was one of those nights. Perhaps it was my sleep deprivation ....

Also wanted to let you know that Cougar had a follow-up chest x-ray yesterday - still has pneumonia in his lungs so we are onto another antibiotic and 5 breathing treatments a day. He will go back in on Christmas Eve and I'm sure they will order another follow-up x-ray ... praying for pneumonia-free lungs for Christmas! On the plus side, the doctor heard NO heart murmur at his last appointment so it looks to have taken care of itself - which is what she anticipated!! HOORAY :)

5 comments:

Jen Wolff said...

Your day sounds exhausting!! I hope you get a restful night's sleep! I known to reprimand unruly children in stores/church myself. It's scary how more and more kiddos come to me in Kindergarten with unacceptable behavior and every year it gets worse. Parent's expect less of their chldren when they are capable of so much more! I hope Cougar's new antibiotics solve the problem, poor guy!

andreamatrix said...

I think I just gained 6 pounds from looking at your cookies. Thanks a lot. Just glue them right on to my hips!!!

Yes I did the cleaning, but it SO needed it! Not just cleaning, but taking everything out of the room that is too small, too babyish, or not played with. My huge garbage can was FULL of junkola!

Sorry about the eternal Pneu...Hope THAT goes away soon! Poor Cougar.

Unknown said...

Well I hope you still heard some great music over show fighting! (that's a new one) I am sorry to hear little Cougar is still sick! NO FUN! Best wishes for a speedy recovery! :)

Jill Knotwell said...

So when are you going to post the recipes? The mint brownies is the one I am looking for ;)

Anna Marie said...

Oh I love a mom who has the guts to "step in". Good for you teach!