Running in Place

December 21, 2008

Christmas Finery

Here we are after church today dressed in our Christmas duds. I got the tripod out before anyone could change and forced everyone to stand in front of the tree ... original, huh?! Steve and I are actually wearing things we've had in our closets for years but the kids all got new outfits this year. The girls had worn the same holiday outfits for the past 2 years so they were excited to don some new dresses. I loved the black velvet/charcoal gray color scheme (although you can't tell the colors with the edit on the photo). Cougar's gray pants and plaid shirt with just a touch of red complimented their dresses perfectly! Brinley was especially happy that she got a different dress from the other girls - she's pretty much DONE with the matchy-matchy thing that I loved so much while they were littler *SOB* Lucky for her Costco only had their dresses up to a size 8!!

I spent the rest of the afternoon making 4 batches of Addiction for Steve's office staff. I had to make enough for 25 people with enough left over to appease my family ;) The ladies are always asking him when I will send more in so it seemed like the perfect holiday gift ... even if it is the same thing I made last year. I was having major issues with the idea of a "repeat" gift because I certainly don't want to become a one trick pony when it comes to office gifts but with our recent trip and Cougar being sick for over 2 weeks now I just couldn't muster up the energy to come up with something else fabulous. Well, not completely true - I had several other ideas but Steve said they were asking for Addiction so who am I to argue with a bunch of ladies from the office? This year I included the recipe for them so they won't have to wait for me to make it anymore ... how's THAT for a gift? Now I offer the same gift to you:

Addiction3 Sticks Butter
2 C. Sugar
2 C. Karo Syrup (light corn syrup)

Boil for 3 minutes and pour over:

1 large box Rice Chex
1 large box Golden Grahams
4 C. Coconut
3 C. Sliced Almonds

Stir until cereal mixture is coated with sugar mixture. Spread onto parchment paper to cool.
**Disclaimer - there is a reason it is called Addiction ....

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Super cute family photo! We all dressed up yesterday too! Everyone had new attire except for Bry! He never wants anything new anyways inless it has three special initials on it ;) You guys look fabulous!

Jen Wolff said...

Jack woke up covered in a rash so I stayed home with the little one's while my dh went to lead Sacrament music. Can't share cooties w/ everyone else. Total bummer as the kids had nice new Christmas outfits. You all look great!!!! I'll have to try your recipe. Looks yummy!

InkMom said...

Oh, the little girl clothes! I can TELL you how jealous I am of things like taffeta and velvet . . . they will never happen in my house.

Sigh.

Again . . . living vicariously through you!

Cameron Family said...

So what your saying is that Addiction is also fat free, right???

Such a cute family picture. Oh, the torture we put our children (not to mention husbands) through! You'd think I told my kids we were going to pull their teeth when I asked them to stop, look and smile!

Kimberly said...

And to make that treat even better melt about a cup of white chocolate and toss everytning in that. That's the recipe I have (minus the coconut but that would be good!). Your family is adorable and growing like crazy! Merry Christmas! Kim

Anonymous said...

I am laughing at myself. Am sifting throught the JS Holidays in Hand class materials and one recipe was here - great name. As I read the post I se "Cougar" was sick. Wow! Another boy in this world named Cougar - maybe his parents went to BY too!! I just have to tell Kari. Oh my. Where is
that silly smiley when you need it! and I see this is an old post so I won't wish Cougar a speedy recovery either! Beautiful blog site by the way - I'm inspired!
Hugs Joan2

Susan said...

We made the Addiction and it is scrummy! But, one question...
Is it suppose to be sticky and gooey or is is suppose to be more dry like carmel corn?

Maria said...

Your blog is so cool. Where have you been lately?