Running in Place

November 29, 2010

Holiday Treats

'Tis the season for some of my favorite treats to make their appearance again - WOOT!! Funny thing is I have favorite treats for just about every holiday ;) Candy Corn only tastes good to me in October {and only Brach's brand, thankyouverymuch}, Reese's Peanut Butter Eggs at Easter taste better than any other Reese's product, and I have oh, so many treats that I love during the Christmas holidays!! I'm grateful for the excitement that I feel when I see them in the stores for the first time each season!

I had my first Peppermint Chocolate Chip Milkshake from Chick-fil-a on Friday and it was the perfect reward for my early (before 7 AM), cold (35 degrees) 6 mile run that morning. Too bad someone had to tell me it had almost 1000 calories, but it was worth every one as it was sheer perfection!! I'm sure I will have several more before they leave the stores in January ;)

My other faves include the beloved chocolate/mint combo that I am so fond of, as well! I'm always a sucker for Mint M&M's and was thrilled when they made the "premium" ones {now known as Thrills} available year round after putting them out a few years ago ... divine!! We almost always have a bowl of the red, white, and green niblets on our counter - too bad we don't have a counter this year!! Probably better for my waistline ;) I also bought my first bag of Dove Peppermint Bark this past weekend because I knew the wrappers would be the perfect filler for one of my tall glass jars that I change decor in from season to season. I paired them with some Dove Dark Chocolates and they look so pretty ... and taste even better!!

Not only do I love the store bought variety of holiday treats, but I love to make lots of goodies during the month of December, too! I don't really bake as much for other holidays, but I *LOVE* to bake and make candy during the Christmas holidays. I know it stems from my childhood and the many wonderful memories of spending time in the kitchen with my mom as we put together plates of goodies to take to neighbors, friends, and widows from our ward at church. I still make a lot of the same recipes today that we made when I was young and I love it when my mom comes to visit so we can make them together {or I can have her make them with my kiddos}!! I'm grateful for the traditions passed on and hope that one day my children will enjoy making the same holiday treats with their own children!


2 comments:

Julie L. said...

Peppermint bark is one of my FAV Christmas treats! I have to go grab some of those Dove morsels! :)

Have a great holiday season with the fam Kari...good luck on your Kitchen...:)

Jen Wolff said...

Oh don't even get me started on things I love to eat, but really shouldn't!!!! Can't wait to see your new kitchen!!!