Greek Salad
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
3/4 C. vegetable oil
4 Tbs. lemon juice
3 cloves garlic, diced
Mix dressing and let stand for 3 hours. Toss with salad just before serving.
Salad:
2 head Romaine (I prefer hearts)
croutons (if desired)
1/4 lb. bacon, crumbled
1/4 lb. swiss cheese, grated
1/3 C. parmesan cheese
2/3 C. slivered almonds (toasted, if desired)
sliced mushrooms
avocados
cherry tomatoes, halved (or grape tomatoes)
* measurements for salad toppings are estimates ... I just toss in whatever I have or whatever looks good!
Chicken & Artichoke Casserole
*please note this dish is not terribly photogenic due to the pale coloring ;) It has WAY more flavor than color - promise!
Assembled Casserole
Sauce
Before Baking
*please note this dish is not terribly photogenic due to the pale coloring ;) It has WAY more flavor than color - promise!
1/2 lb. fresh mushrooms, sliced
2 Tbs. butter
1 can (14 oz.) chicken broth
4 chicken breasts (approx. 3 lbs)
1 can (14 oz.) artichoke hearts, drained
1/4 C. butter
1/4 C. flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
3/4 C. light cream (half & half)
1/2 C. parmesan cheese
2 Tbs. sherry (optional)
1/2 tsp. dried rosemary, crushed
Saute mushrooms in 2 Tbs. butter until golden brown. Set aside. Put chicken breasts in simmering chicken broth in a single layer. Cover. Cook 20 minutes. Remove from broth (save 3/4 C. broth). Cool, skin, and bone chicken (I use boneless, skinless to start with). Arrange chicken slightly overlapping in 8 x 12 casserole dish. Top with artichoke hearts. Set aside. Melt 1/4 C. butter, stir in flour, salt, and pepper until smooth. Gradually stir in 3/4 C. chicken broth and light cream. Cook and stir as mixture boils and thickens. Blend in parmesan cheese, sherry, and rosemary. Pour over artichokes, covering them. Sprinkle mushrooms down center. Bake at 325 degrees for 30 minutes. You can assemble casserole ahead of time, cover and refrigerate. Bake 10 minutes longer.
*I opt to make it with out mushrooms since my beloved is anti-fungus ;) ... just so you know why you don't see them in the pictures! I also cut my chicken into smaller chunks before assembling - no real reason, just do!
2 Tbs. butter
1 can (14 oz.) chicken broth
4 chicken breasts (approx. 3 lbs)
1 can (14 oz.) artichoke hearts, drained
1/4 C. butter
1/4 C. flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
3/4 C. light cream (half & half)
1/2 C. parmesan cheese
2 Tbs. sherry (optional)
1/2 tsp. dried rosemary, crushed
Saute mushrooms in 2 Tbs. butter until golden brown. Set aside. Put chicken breasts in simmering chicken broth in a single layer. Cover. Cook 20 minutes. Remove from broth (save 3/4 C. broth). Cool, skin, and bone chicken (I use boneless, skinless to start with). Arrange chicken slightly overlapping in 8 x 12 casserole dish. Top with artichoke hearts. Set aside. Melt 1/4 C. butter, stir in flour, salt, and pepper until smooth. Gradually stir in 3/4 C. chicken broth and light cream. Cook and stir as mixture boils and thickens. Blend in parmesan cheese, sherry, and rosemary. Pour over artichokes, covering them. Sprinkle mushrooms down center. Bake at 325 degrees for 30 minutes. You can assemble casserole ahead of time, cover and refrigerate. Bake 10 minutes longer.
*I opt to make it with out mushrooms since my beloved is anti-fungus ;) ... just so you know why you don't see them in the pictures! I also cut my chicken into smaller chunks before assembling - no real reason, just do!
Mint Brownies
* usually prepared in a 9x13 pan but I used heart shaped silicone baking cups for the special occasion ;)

* usually prepared in a 9x13 pan but I used heart shaped silicone baking cups for the special occasion ;)
Brownies:
Cook brownies according to directions - I use brownies from a box (right now my faves are Betty Crocker Ultimate Fudge : fudge packet + mini chocolate chips = heaven) COOL brownies before moving adding mint layer - you can speed up in the fridge if you're in a pinch for time ... I usually do ;)
Mint Layer:
1/2 C. butter (1 cube)
2 C. powdered sugar (approx)
2 Tbs. Karo syrup
1/4 tsp. peppermint extract
food color (optional) - whatever color is appropriate (I've used blue for BYU games)
Spread mint layer to cover brownies and let set before adding next layer.
Chocolate Layer:
1/2 bag semi-sweet chocolate chips (approx. 6 oz.)
1/4 C. butter
Melt together and spread over mint layer. Let chocolate set before cutting and serving.
*you can speed the setting process in the fridge. If you do this, sit them out to let them warm back up before cutting or chocolate will separate from mint layer. They are also easier to cut at room temp.
Cook brownies according to directions - I use brownies from a box (right now my faves are Betty Crocker Ultimate Fudge : fudge packet + mini chocolate chips = heaven) COOL brownies before moving adding mint layer - you can speed up in the fridge if you're in a pinch for time ... I usually do ;)
Mint Layer:
1/2 C. butter (1 cube)
2 C. powdered sugar (approx)
2 Tbs. Karo syrup
1/4 tsp. peppermint extract
food color (optional) - whatever color is appropriate (I've used blue for BYU games)
Spread mint layer to cover brownies and let set before adding next layer.
Chocolate Layer:
1/2 bag semi-sweet chocolate chips (approx. 6 oz.)
1/4 C. butter
Melt together and spread over mint layer. Let chocolate set before cutting and serving.
*you can speed the setting process in the fridge. If you do this, sit them out to let them warm back up before cutting or chocolate will separate from mint layer. They are also easier to cut at room temp.


22 comments:
YUMMMMMM....that artichoke chicken recipe looks delish.. I must try that.
The brownies look awesome too!
Kari...I love Greek Salad! Thanks for all of the recipes (the brownies look especially yummy)!
It was great having you back on the MB...we missed you!
YUM!!! That's all I have to say about that!
Looks yummy! Too bad I am not good at fixing dinner. My poor family.
My mouth is watering. I have to go to the store today so guess what Jim is getting for dinner tonight. I love it when I don't have to think....now I can play some today. Thanks Kari! Oh those brownies look good!
As I started reading, I was already thinking about leaving a comment asking for the recipes...then I kept reading and there they were! You read my mind. Thanks for sharing the recipes, Kari. I will definitely have to give them a try. Yum!
Thanks for the culinary inspiration - my stomach and those of my family's will be so happy! :)
Thanks for the culinary inspiration - my stomach and those of my family's will be so happy! :)
You know what is funny? I was just telling Jeremy tonight that I had a craving for Greek salad. Were you reading my mind? Everything looks great! When I get up the energy to actually cook something again, I will give it a try. :)
You are so dedicated to post not one but three recipes! Hooray for us! Can't wait to try them! Chickens and Artichokes - How can you go wrong with that one!
Speaking from experience, both the greek salad AND the chicken and artichoke casserole are to die for. Wow, it has been far long since I've made either. My husband may be in for a special treat this weekend, especially because he'll be gone so much of the next 2 months...he'll remember this yummy meal...and forget that I never forget cook?! Yeah, right.
Ohh Kari they look great. Send any leftovers this way! Or maybe not, they might spoil in the post.
Carol :-)
You make me laugh! Chicken artichoke is one of my favs too, not big into mint though! I'll have to try the greek salad looks yummy!
All three of these recipes looks amazing! Thanks!
Looks like a wonderful meal!! (ahem, how did you find the time, lol!)
I can't wait to try out the chicken and artichoke and the greek salad...thanks for sharing. John will tell you that his mom doesn't cook...and he's mostly right. So a recipe that will intrigue me is probably a great one. Sally (John Knotwell's mom)
My mouth is watering! Thanks for including the recipes. I can't wait to try them!
Oh my gosh these sound like great recipes. Thank you I have recipe lifted them.
Thanks for planning our Sunday dinner! It looks DELICIOUS!!
-Beckie W.
Are you kiddin' me? What a feast. I know that my man is definitely happier when I cook!
Aloha, Sarah
You're so much nicer to your husband than I am to mine. The only way Dave was getting a meal on Valentine's Day was if HE took ME out! Those dished do look amazing, I just might have to try them!
PS Get your cute little butt to the gym- we miss you! Alisa
Wow, look at you cooking it up! My mouth is watering right now! As with every time I am pregnant, I eat and eat until the day I deliver (AND IT SHOWS)! I am going to have to try these recipes out!
Post a Comment