Running in Place

March 17, 2008

Coming Up for Air

I give fair warning that this post will include no pictures or anything terribly exciting ... just an entry for no other purpose than journaling what I have been up to so I don't forget (which could be very easy considering the week I've had). Sorry for the lack of "fun." Hopefully you had some fun last week looking at AnnaMarie's blog and participating in her giveaway ... which my good friend Chrystal won!! I'm sad that those gorgeous earrings won't be mine but perhaps Chrystal will loan them to me ;)

I guess I should start by announcing that I am training for a triathlon. The race in on April 19th and although I don't see myself as any form of competition I am enjoying (if you can call it that) having a goal to get me back to exercising on a regular basis. It will be a 300 yd. swim, 8 mile bike, and 3.2 mile run. Let us all pray I make it :) Thanks to Tori for giving me the push I needed to try something I would NEVER have considered before!!

In other news, I don't believe I have mentioned that I got a new calling at church about a month ago. For those of you who aren't of my faith that will probably not make a lot of sense ... if you would like a better explanation let me know ;) Our stake was split in December and I have been called to be the Stake Young Women's Secretary. With Girls Camp and a Pioneer Trek coming up in the next few months we have been busy meeting, trying to figure out what we are doing, and making plans. I am lucky to work with great women and love the chance I have to work with the youth. I have been at church and in meetings for 6+ hours the past 2 Sundays (since we had ward conference visits on top of our regular church meetings and presidency/stake meetings, too)!!! Steve is glad when I can make it home!

This past week I had stampers group on Monday morning at my house which involved designing and prepping projects (until 3 AM) and getting the house together. Tori and I swam that night to get some training in. I then made sugar cookie dough in preparation for the bakefest I had on Tuesday. I also cut and prepared 150 invitations for the General YW Broadcast on March 29th so we could hand them out on Wednesday night. After biking 3.5 miles and then running 1.5 miles Tuesday morning I rolled out and cut over 12 dozen star shaped sugar cookies for our Girls Camp "Psych Night" on Wednesday night. The Stake YW President came over Tuesday night to frost cookies and assemble the invites. Wednesday brought 1.75 miles on the treadmill (have I mentioned that I DETEST running? It is definitely the hardest part of training for me) followed by me and Kendyl going for haircuts. From haircuts we went to the girls' school to see Brinley play the narrator in her 3rd grade music program. After school it was haircuts for Brinley and Ashton before heading home to load up the car for Psych Night (the activity where we "unveil" the Girls Camp theme for the year, staff, etc). Steve took the crew to the evening performance of the 3rd grade music program and had everyone in bed before I got home ... which was a good thing since I didn't get home until after 9:30. Thursday I had my friend Beth's kiddos while she helped her sister with her new baby in Utah. Alex came in the morning and then Amanda and Kayla came in various methods after school. They are such great kids and always easy to have around!! I had fun taking pictures of Alex to send to his mom via text message ;) I left the kids with Steve just after lunch so I could bike 6 miles before the entire crew came home from school. After Beth's kids left it was time to get the house ready for my evening stampers group meeting. It was a small group with sickness and other things keeping people away but was fun none the less! Friday was a "lazy" day of hanging out with Alex, Cougar, and Kendyl, running 2 miles, picking up kids from school, letting them all play outside in the glorious weather, and dropping my kiddos at babysitters group so we could have some time off ... to head to Costco and get the house ready for the baby shower I hosted on Saturday morning!!!! No time for training on Saturday while I cleaned the house, got food ready, hosted the shower, cleaned up after the shower, picked up the babysitter, and headed to the theater to see Cirque Dreams: Jungle Fantasy. It was such a fun time to go downtown and see a show ... something we don't get to do often enough!! Sunday brought church, my last ward conference visit (for 6 months), friends coming over for dinner to help eat the leftovers from the baby shower, and a 2+ hour stake meeting. Makes me tired just thinking about it!!

Today was the first day of Spring Break - we don't have anything planned which is a problem!!! The girls spent the entire day arguing about what channel to watch, which Wii game to play, who's turn it was on the computer, etc. The added bummer was that it cooled off significantly today - mid 60's vs. the 80's we've been basking in for weeks now - so they weren't near as interested to play outside!! We'll be back up in the 80's by Wednesday and we do have plans to buy Enchanted on DVD tomorrow, go see a movie, hit BounceU or the bowling Alley, and will probably head to the park at least once. I ran 2.75 miles today which was big for me (don't laugh Carolyn)!! I wanted to run 2.5 but made myself keep going once I got to that point. I was actually going to push for 3 miles but I've been pretty congested the past few days and breathing was getting more difficult so I decided to walk an extra .5 mile instead ... at a fast pace ;)

Now I did warn you, didn't I?! Is anyone actually still reading this?! Probably not ... I don't blame you! But if you are and would like a chance to win an iTunes gift card, leave me a comment by Friday, 3/21! We finally got Steve's iPod Touch that I bought him for Christmas
up and running so we are having fun picking out some new (and not so new) music and downloading ... right from his iPod!! Seriously the coolest thing ever!

Lots of pictures, hopefully some layouts, and more specifics on some of the "other" events that have occurred in our lives the past few weeks to come ... catching up on my blog surfing, too. I really need to carve out some time for me that doesn't involve doing things for other people. Does that sound selfish or what?! Hope I'm not the only one that feels that way sometimes ....

One final note: I get to register for my 3rd online digital scrapbooking class - Digi: In Deep - with Jessica Sprague next Monday night!!! I've been waiting since November for this class and can hardly wait! THAT should give me some of that "me" time I'm looking for ;)

26 comments:

Cameron Family said...

WOW! Okay, I am glad I have your old calling and not your present one! I am proud of your training for the triathalon and really actually do wish I could do it with you. But we all miss you at the gym. What's up with the ITunes card giveaway? I gave Dave an IPod for Christmas and he still only has something like 24 songs on it- so count us in! Good luck with the taining, keep up the good works in YW and thanks for dinner!!!

Tori said...

Holy novel! Whew!

Just kidding. When you put it on paper (or on a blog), life looks exhausting, doesnt' it? Wait a minute...it is!

I just recieved baseball schedules for the next few months...four games a week starting next week until mid May. I'm tired already, and it's not from training.

K, pick me for the iTunes card! Pick me! Choose me! (I'm not telling people about this on my blog.) ;)

Tori said...

Jinx on the post, Cameron family!

Natalie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Natalie said...

Wow, Kari, I am impressed by your stamina. You are one busy chick! Here's to some much needed me time, or you time, as the case may be!! I don't see that happening during spring break tho. Good luck getting your training in for the triathilon! That takes so much juggling with kids.

Anonymous said...

Man the last two weeks have been stressful and sucked for me but yours sounds worse. We need to catch up. Enjoy spring break.

Your sis

Rachele Funk said...

Can I breathe yet???!!?? LOL!!! Seriously woman, you are making the rest of us look bad!

I have been running 4 miles a day, but I just keep getting fatter. . . Any solutions for this? Not to mention, I'm killing my ankles (arthritis) and seriously don't think I can keep doing it!

You go girl!!!

Oh and congrats on the calling. . . I sooooo can't wait to be in YW someday. It's in my PB so I know it will come. . .

Anonymous said...

You weren't kidding when you said you had a crazy week. I'm so impressed about the triathlon. Can't wait to hear more about that experience. Good for you for going out of your comfort zone and trying something new.
Enjoy the spring break. aloha, Sarah

Chrystal said...

Holy Cow! You are busy!! Congratulations on the training! After being so sick for so long, it has given me new drive to hit the gym again. I'm going to start slow, though, and aim for a 5k run. Good luck with yours!!

Lois Michael said...

Ok Kari....now I am ready for a nap just reading what your week was like. Now I misunderstand your craziness. I honestly do not know how you girls manage to do all you do and still keep your sanity. I say it is time for you to have some me time & no it isn't selfish. I think your triathlon challenge sounds wonderful too. Hope your spring break is rewarding!

Unknown said...

Wow, you have a busy life!!! Triathalon, wow, I can't run for long periods I have flat feet! We took the kids to Horton Hears a Who yesterday and it was pretty cute. If you feel up to it, it isn't very long at all! I wish I could say my life is half as exciting as yours, but it is not! Good Luck!

Julie L. said...

Kari--wow, and I thought my life was busy! Girl, you have me beat--you're running circles around me right now.
Can't wait for digi in deep with JS-yes, that will give you some "you" time...looking forward to getting back to lesson!
Good luck with your triathalon--that is a great accomplishment!

Laurie said...

You make me feel like such a slacker!! Oh wait, that is because I am! I have spent most of the last 9 days laying on the couch. I did manage to throw a shower for my friend, but I was so exhausted after that. I am on my way to recovery, but super exhausted. So would you quit making me feel so inadequate???!!!?? JK! You are an amazing woman! Wish I had your stamina. :)

Jill Knotwell said...

I am so proud of you for doing the triathalon! If you want we could switch lives for a while I just sit here and twiddle my thumbs waiting the weather to turn nice. Love to read the updates!

Anonymous said...

Wow!! You are going full speed! I'm impressed with all you've done and all you do! Can't wait to "see" you again when DID starts.

Ljonezy said...

My goodness girl! What do you put in your food to keep you going? You sound like Liv! Glad to hear you are doing so well training for the triathalon! Glad to hear you have just been busy and not avoiding us over at js! lol Hope to see you soon!

Katie said...

Kari, you are amazing. I cant believe everything you do. I would seriously wet my pants if I tried to do that much running- those dang pregnancies! You make me feel like I should be doing more in my life.

Anna Marie said...

A triathalon...are you crazy?! I think I'm just going to keep my fitness goals at losing my pregnancy weight - ouch, she's already 7 months! Good luck with Spring Break...why aren't you heading over to La Quinta?!

Unknown said...

Wow, Kari, I'm tired after just reading about all of that, and I'm not even the one doing it all. :) Good for you! Good luck with the triathalon training.

And hey, tell your girls to get themselves outside to play! My kids (and I) would be in heaven right now if it were 60 degrees outside! Nothing like having spring break and it's 21 degrees outside right now (feels like 15). But we might actually get up to 36 degrees today! Welcome to Minnesota. I would be happy if it would just get above freezing long enough to melt the rest of the snow. Enough of winter already! :)

Can't wait for digi in deep over at JS!

Sally said...

Kari, it sounds as though you are one busy lady! I simply don't know how you do it. Good luck on the triathalon....better you than me. Put my name in for the iPod gift card, please. My John has one so this would work out great for him.

andreamatrix said...

And now I'm feeling so guilty that you made those cookies for me!!! To make up for it, I'll run your 3 miles if you will do the swimming! You need to tell me about Cirque Dreams... and it looks like I missed that.... darn.

Kasey said...

Wow! What are you talking about when yous say you don't do projects?? They're just different kinds of projects, but you are as busy as anyone. Congrats on the triathlon goal. You rock!

Rosander said...

Holy cow!!! Really what can I say! That is so cool you're doing a Triathlon, It's funny that you have a hard time running, because I look at it and it's the swimming and biking that is a major challenge for me. I can do one foot in front of the the other, but anything that needs more coordination than that... Up a creek! I don't know if I should say congrats or give my condolences with your new YW calling. You will be so awesome. What a crazy life. You amaze me. Keep on Keep'n on.

Anonymous said...

Good Luck on the tri! Running was the worst for me too. I need to get back into it. It has been way too long!!! Thanks for all your help with the digi stuff!!!

Amy

Anonymous said...

Guess who? ME!!!! I'm back!

WOW, I thought I had been busy for the last couple of months. But look what you squeezed into a week ... was it a week or just a day. You are A-MAZ-ING!!! Congrats on your new calling. Do they know how lucky and blessed they are to have you? If not, Tori should tell them!!!!!

Love all your self-proclaimed "boring" posts. Yes, I read all the way to the bottom.

Been missing ya! Great to be back and I'll be right "in front" on you registering for DID!!!!

Love ya GF!!!!

Anonymous said...

uhmmm ... that was "IN" front of you ... not "ON" you! LOL. I would squash you flat if I was "on" you!!!! Wouldn't want to do that!