Running in Place

August 13, 2007

For the Love of Food

I'll admit it ... I love good food! Now, what some may view as "good food" is entirely subjective, but I know what I like :) With the abundance of great restaurants in our area - especially Mexican restaurants - it is surprising to many that one of my all time favorite places to go is Cafe Rio ... a Utah staple. My girlfriend Monika and I were discussing the splendor of Cafe Rio one day last year (okay, Monika and I always talk about food ... we've decided we really need to go on a restaurant road trip back to Utah and stop at all of our favorite places along the way!) and wishing there were one ANYWHERE in the area so we could enjoy a pork salad together. We discovered shortly after that that there was one in our area ... 45 minutes away! That hardly seemed a sacrifice if it meant we could enjoy the sumptuous taste of the beloved pork salad. So we began our almost monthly excursions across town to Cafe Rio. We would drop her son off at preschool, hit the freeway, have a fabulous lunch, and make it back just in time to pick the kiddos up from school. Most days we could make it in about 35 minutes (each direction) and enjoy almost an hour at the restaurant!! We've actually been able to convince a few of our other friends that it is well worth the drive and they've started to join us, too. These pictures were taken last week at our "back to school celebration lunch." Monika, Beth, and I hauled what few kids we didn't have in school - hey, to take only 4 kids to lunch when you actually have 10 kids between you seems like a big deal - and headed across town for the first of what I'm sure will be many trips to Cafe Rio this school year. They are supposed to be building one much closer to us (about 10-15 minutes away) in the next six months but part of me will miss the drive across town to where these super fun lunch dates started ;)

6 comments:

Tori said...

OK, ummm...Jayne and I are free now for the next school year. (hint,hint)

Unknown said...

Okay I love Rio, but we have them everywhere up here in good old Utah! Probably a bad thing since I know how many calories one of those good old salads is carrying. Yet, I still indulge in one whenever I can!! Maybe that is why I'm having a hard time losing my last 10 baby pounds!

Moss & Fern Cottage said...

Cafe Rio IS good !! We don't have one in Heber or even Park City, but we are blessed with other great dining establishments :) Do you remember when we all were in college how many times we would go to Chili's ? It seriously was like once a week if not more. How did we all not weight 200lbs ? (man, I'd kill for my figure back then :) )

Moss & Fern Cottage said...

oops.. I mean weigh, not weight. ( sorry, I'm always editing myself )

Kasey said...

I'm so jealous! Cafe Rio is my absolute favorite - I eat there with Nat every time I'm in Utah (at least once!).

Do you remember how often we used to drive to Murray to eat at Chili's before they built one in Orem? I particularly remember one frightening snow storm over point of the mountain...but, it was so worth it! It's funny how sentimental we are about our favorite restaurants! Good memories.

Rachele Funk said...

Okay, I want to come! No Fair! At least post the location so we can go try it!!!