Running in Place

September 8, 2007

Chin Up

I am giving fair warning from the start that there are slightly graphic pictures included in the layout below. Don't be too alarmed ... they are of Kendyl's chin split wide open!! In fact, the worst of the pics was taken with my cell phone so the clarity isn't what you would get from a "real" camera.

Now for the story .... We often meet our friends the Caslers (Tami, Cary, and Carly) and Prieves (Jennifer, Eden, Brynn, and Paxton) after school on Friday afternoons to let the girls play together for a while - and, of course, the moms need to catch up from the week! Ashton, Cary, and Eden were all in the same kindergarten class last year and were the best of friends. Now that we are at a different school we try to schedule things together on a regular basis so we can all see each other. Back to the story - We had been at Burger King for almost 2 hours (approx. 5:00) so it was time to call it a day and head home. Kendyl had just spilled our drink under our table so after we got it cleaned up they came in to mop. Well, the woman decided to mop the entire aisle in front of the playland where about 10 kids were happily playing. WHY ON EARTH would you mop tile in an area where children are playing?! Kendyl stepped off of the rubber mat at the base of the playland and turned to come toward our table ... SPLAT! Little girl right behind her ... SPLAT! Kendyl made it to the table - screaming - where we started to assess the damage. I could tell there was blood but had to figure out where it was coming from. She said she bumped her chin so that's where our eyes headed. To our horror we saw a gaping hole!!! This is where SuperMom had to step in and hold it together. Except in this case I was LITERALLY having to hold it together - her chin, that is. There really wasn't much blood and it was a perfectly clean cut ... we got lucky. After Jennifer and I gathered ourselves I called Steve at the office (which was maybe 1/2 mile from where we were) to see how close he was to leaving. Lucky again he was on his way out so I had him meet us at BK so we could get her to urgent care. Jen took the big girls home and I waited in the car with Kendyl (holding her chin together) while Steve went in and filled out an accident report with BK - which no one from the restaurant even brought up - because I wanted documentation in case something crazy happened with the doctor ... you never know. That took at least 30 minutes because there was a serious english/spanish language barrier. Kendyl fell asleep while we were waiting which was a relief. Off we went to urgent care where we got her right in. Lucky for us (again) it was a brand new facility so the masses hadn't found it yet. I left Steve with her and went to pick up Brinley and Ashton. They were home by 7:00 with six stitches in her chin!! Steve said she was super brave and didn't cry at all. They were able to numb it with a liquid instead of a shot which helped lessen the trauma. She has since told us that she wants to "take it off" to which we reply "not for a week!" She looks like she has little black whiskers but has been a complete trooper through it all. Of course an experience like this must be scrapbooked so here is my layout!
(click to enlarge layout)

Credits: Kissed Studio Shabby Miss Jenn Signature Pack (template), Shabby Miss Jenn Desert Dandelions Kit, Katie Pertiet Stamped Moments and Sanded Overlay, Mindy Wade Flurries Freebie (journaling block)

Journaling reads: 9 * 7 * 07 What a big day! After we picked the girls up from school we met the Caslers and Prieves at Burger King - which has almost become a standing appointment on Friday afternoons! We played in the playland for 2 hours!! As we were about to leave you slipped on the wet floor and did some pretty hefty damage to your chin! Luckily Daddy was on his way home so he came and met us so we could get you to urgent care. Six stitches later and you were ready to come home. All of the doctors were impressed by how brave you were ... you didn’t shed one tear!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Kari! It looks awful. I'm looking forward to hearing all about it from Kendyl at preschool.
You are a super mom!

Tori said...

I am impressed. First day of preschool already scrapped, and now this! You are amazing.

Looks painful. Luckily it is under the chin so if any scarring occurs, it won't be too noticable. She looks happy to have those bubbles and sucker...all worth the pain to her.

Kasey said...

Holy cow! You weren't kidding when you said it was a gaping hole! Glad she's still smiling! I was in kindergarten when I got my first set of stitches - in my head. I thought it was pretty cool and it did make for an awesome show and tell!

Anonymous said...

Ouch! That looks painful. Poor little brave girl. I am with you, why mop the entire floor where kids are playing, I mean come on. BK was asking for an accident. I wouldn't have even thought to fill out any paperwork, good thinking.

Carolyn Hansen said...

Another great page layout. Speaking as one that usually is doing the sewing, the child's reaction can make things SO much more difficult. Sounds like she was a champ! Also, great place for a laceration. You won't see the scar!
PS-You may already know these things but...To minimize scarring one the stitches come out, I'm a huge believer in vitamin E oil daily and the dermatologists recommend sunscreen DAILY for a year.

Unknown said...

OUCH! Looks like it hurt!!! Poor little Kendyl! Hope she's not going to be your accident prone child! I have a cousin who got stitches at least once a year! Well she still looks darling!

Moss & Fern Cottage said...

I can't believe she didn't cry. So brave and so cute. Getting lots of candy will make any kid feel better :)

John Knotwell said...

Yeah... and I had just eaten dinner. Way to be a trooper Kendyl!