Running in Place

November 2, 2009

Online Communities

I'm sure a lot of people would think this is strange, but I am extremely grateful for online communities! They have literally changed my life and brought me in contact with dear friends that I may never have known without the powers of the cyberworld.

When I started my digital scrapbooking journey at jessicasprague.com I never imagined that 2 years later I would have made 2 trips to visit my cyberfriends who feel more like sisters to me now. My trip to Chicago last summer was actually made possible by one of my dear Spraguemates who offered her airline miles just to get me there ... for a total of 30 hours from departing Phoenix to my return home. I could never express the love I have for the people there and to Jessica for giving us a "home" on the web :)
I also never dreamed that I would start doing creative team work for ScrapMatters, but with a little nudge from another dear cyberfriend (that I met at JS.com) I took the plunge to apply for the team. Now over a year later I am a designer for their shop and am the team leader for the hybrid creative team AND the hybrid design team! The community is wonderful and I have met even more dear friends from around the country and the world.

I think the thing that makes these communities unique is that we are all there to share our stories through our scrapbook pages and to share our knowledge as we help each other to learn new skills to improve our process. Our pages tell a lot about us and our lives, our celebrations and our challenges. These are the things that bind people together. These are the reasons I am grateful for online communities ... they help me to learn, grow, challenge myself, and expand my circle of friends to places I only dreamed of!

On that note, I have to put in a plug for Jessica Sprague ... she is offering another FREE online class that will be perfect for ANYONE! You don't need to be a digital scrapbooker ;) Check out her website for more information and REGISTER - you won't regret it!!!

Also, ScrapMatters is celebrating Digital Scrapbooking Day on November 7th with a storewide sale, a fabulous kit that will be FREE with a $15 purchase, games, speed scraps, and a fabulous blog train with over 40 stops!!! You won't want to miss it!

7 comments:

Deb P said...

Yea! ChicagoBabes! & ProvoPeeps!

Did I say how grateful I am for your friendship? I did? Well, I'm saying it again! You rock my world GF!

andreamatrix said...

You did get caught up today! Good for you. I got my photo entered with a cool 1 1/2 hours before they were due. :)

Thanks!

Denise said...

I feel the same way. yay!

Beckie said...

I'm so grateful that you are grateful! ;)
This is going to be a fun month for all of us "Kari deprived" people.
BTW - Do you have a link to the free digi-kit or do we have to be patient until Sat.?

Julie L. said...

Kari--I agree--I'm so grateful for meeting people like you at JS! I have to admit that I have not been active on the boards in a while...so busy (I guess FB was my tradeoff!)--but I'm signed up for her new class--can't wait! :) I need to jump back in the Spraground!

Heather said...

Big hugs to you, Kari!

Kristen Creech said...

I love ya Mama! And yep - I owe it all to Jes for finding this girl I *should have known my whole life!! :D