I'll admit that I'm pretty well out of the "cool" music scene these days. I can't tell you how long it's been since I listened to the actual RADIO and recognized anything being sung ... unless it's been used on TV ;) Our car and iPod were taken over a while ago with the hottest in "tween" music - Hannah Montana, Miley Cyrus, Jonas Brothers, Taylor Swift, Aly & AJ, Demi Lovato - you get the picture. Yet there is something magical about these tunes. They have taught my girls to *LOVE* music ... even it it's "teeny bopper" music. Sweet Kendyl literally lives her life in a musical and sings her way through everything. I love hearing her figure out the lyrics to a new song that she's heard. All of the girls are so cute in the car as they sing along to the latest one hit wonder!! Cougar is even starting to join them in his own extremely time delayed, one word way :) And the dancing along? Don't even get me started on the fun dance parties!!
I believe there are very few things that can evoke emotion in me the way that music can. Pictures can take me back to a certain time but hearing the music of that time makes me FEEL like I'm right back there! My college days were filled with awesome memories of roommates and music - blaring our radio or CD player, laughing, and being crazy. Rob Base (It Takes Two) will forever make me laugh hysterically and make me think of Deb and Kasey ... and we ALL still know every word!!
It's not just the "fun" music that makes me wanna get up and dance, either, that I'm grateful for. I find such power in the Hymns of the church. They bear such powerful witness through their messages. Other songs of faith strengthen and clam me. The tinklings of my girls as they learn to play the piano brings me joy. Buying a new ringtone makes me smile (currently "I Gotta Feeling" from the Black Eyed Peas ... and the BYU Fight Song for Steve). Finding a great song that motivates me to run a little harder is always needed. I am grateful for music and the role it has played throughout my life!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


6 comments:
LOVE that Black Eyed Peas song....just stuck it on my blog the other day because it just puts me in such an awesome mood!
Try the Squirrel Nut Zippers if you really want to dance.....
What there aren't 50 comments already?! Must be my lucky day! Again!
we totally understand that around here. brooklyn knows about every miley/hannah song around and david archuletta is another fav. i just love hearing the kids sing along...the more they are exposed to it the easier it is for them to pick up a new song, be it at church or in the car :) it's been fun to read all of your new posts. :) are you coming to utah for a visit anytime soon? we would love to see you guys.
Hello!
I'm Kristin over at Digital Scrapbooking Giveaways, a BYU-student venture. I found your blog off the Slice of Life blog train. We recently started a new blog devoted solely to driving scrappers to YOUR blog and YOUR stores to buy YOUR products. For the kickoff, we're hosting a 25 days of Christmas digiscrap style. Designers who sign up to be a part of the kickoff will receive their feature completely free. Which includes a 24-hour exclusive front page feature post, button in our "Scraps we're giving away next week" section for 1 week, button in our "Scraps we're giving away this week" section for 1 week, 2 images of other kits for sale, review of products, direct links to your shop, etc. For a sample post, more information, and scheduling please e-mail digiscrapgiveaways@gmail.com.
http://digiscrapgiveaways.blogspot.com
I'm excited to hear from you!
How cute is this post?
"I wanna rock right now
I'm Rob Base and I came to get down
I'm not internationally known
But I'm known to rock the microphone"
I was such a fan! And I love his other song, I think it's called "Sunshine and Rain". What a fun era, huh?
Love your posts Kari! You always write from you heart...I love that!! Music is so powerful! It moves our souls like nothing else can. We do have so much to be grateful for!
Kari - Funny that you mentioned these two songs. Today on my run I heard "I got a feeling" in the first mile. Set the tone for a great race. Instead of "I got a feeling that tonight's gonna be a good, good night," I was hearing "...that today's gonna be a good, good run!"
Then, during mile 8 (by far, the toughest mile for me) "It Takes Two" came on and got me going past my mental hurdle. Music is definitely something to be thankful for.
Post a Comment