Running in Place

November 8, 2009

Church Callings

I have been lucky in my life to serve in many different church callings - all of which have taught me things about myself. It is always hard to be released and left to feel like you could have / should have done more, done things differently, etc. I've had a hard time adjusting to the idea that I am no longer in the stake YW presidency. I loved that calling!! I love working with the youth and the women I had the opportunity to serve with are amazing ... I learned SO MUCH from each of them and am a better person for having had that time to serve with them!!! That being said, it has been hard to be without a calling for almost a month now. There is something about knowing you have a job to fulfill rather than just coming to church. I honestly had no idea where I might end up serving and have been anxious about it after having had such a wonderful most recent calling. Well, today I was called to the scout committee ... completely out of my comfort zone and realm of experience!!!! The closest thing I have to scouting is a 2 1/2 year old boy and a husband who is an Eagle Scout! To say the idea is frightening would be an understatement. Having my husband be the one to extend the call to me was plain WEIRD, too!

Lucky for me they just called a new committee chair last week and she is awesome - totally organized and ready to make our scout troop something to be proud of!! We already started talking grand plans for our ward scout camp that we are in charge of this year (um ... glad that I got to help plan girls camp last year) and are so excited about some of the ideas we have. They certainly won't regret putting two women in charge :)

Today I am grateful for church callings because I am reminded of the opportunity that they give us to share our talents, learn new skills, grow in the gospel in ways we might not otherwise, and challenge ourselves to put our trust in the Lord and do what he asks of us - knowing the blessings that lie in store when we obey.

WOW - that's a lot of "churchy" posts in the past few days!!! Don't worry ... I'll be grateful for something totally frivolous tomorrow - I'm pretty sure I already know what it is :)

2 comments:

andreamatrix said...

Really?! Scout Committee? That will be new....

Heather said...

You will be great in this role - how lucky they are to get you!