Running in Place

August 4, 2008

First Day of School 2008

Believe it or not my girls went back to school today ... it's August 4th in case you missed it ;) It seems so early for them to go back and yet when I taught school in Utah we went back the end of July with our year-round schedule so I'm not sure why it seems so strange. They have what they call a "modified year-round" schedule here and I actually like the spacing of the breaks and the shorter summer - my kids were beyond ready to go back to school and we've actually had a fairly busy and eventful summer!!

Brinley started 4th grade and Ashton started 2nd grade. It is unbelievable to see Brinley as a 4th grader when I taught 4th grade back in the day!! I was up late last night (or should I say early this morning) working on gifts for their teachers. I love to do a little something for them on the first day of school to let them know how much we appreciate all they do for our children throughout the year - and, of course, for more selfish reasons, I want them to like me :) I decided on goodies this year ... again for selfish reasons. I've been craving Chex Muddy Buddies (aka Puppy Chow) for a few days and thought it would make the perfect treat for back to school. I would load up some bags for the teachers and then have leftovers for us!! Ended up being a great solution! I made some cute tags to dress them up and ended up with this:I then decided to make some cute labels to cover Hershey's Nuggets that I had on hand to fill some clear top tins. I created 4 different labels, wrapped them around the nuggets, and filled the tin. The polka dot ribbon I had on hand was the perfect finishing touch for this simple gift!I think they went over well with the teachers ... I was happy with the way they came out!! Both of their teachers are fabulous and we look forward to a great year with them :)The first day of school is always hectic - hair has to be just right, the outfit has to be new and perfect, the backpack needs to be ready, etc. We do fairly well on most accounts but the dynamic of having 4 kiddos ready to head out the door (since Steve has to work early on Mondays) adds a bit of chaos ... especially when Cougar decides he needs a little extra sleep on the first day of school! We made it to the school on time but the traffic was unreal - as is the norm on the first day of school. I used to get so stressed about it but now I figure I'll find a parking space when I find one and they'll get to class in plenty of time. We made it to their classrooms before their classes had even come in from the playground (and we didn't have to stand in the 95 degree weather that is 7:30 A.M. this time of year)!!

It was so nice to pack only 2 kiddos to Target this morning to run errands and continue the hunt for school shoes for Ashton. We got our running around done with just enough time to come home, have lunch, and get Cougar down for a nap. The best part was the quiet time I had to scrap this afternoon while he was sleeping and Kendyl was playing on Barbie.com on the laptop. It's fun to share the space with her, talk, laugh, and watch her explore ... all while I'm getting to play myself! I haven't gotten to scrap in AGES so I felt pretty rusty but I was happy with the outcome. I've got so many albums I need to be working on from this summer that I will hopefully get to fine tune my skills again before my next digital scrapbooking class in October ;) Here is the outcome of "my time."

Credits:
Back 2 School Kit by Shabby Miss Jenn
Photo Edges & Frames by Rhonna Farrer
2Peas Stop Sign Font from 2Peas in a Bucket
Century Gothic Font

Yes ... those are the same backpacks they have had for the past 2 years. I just can't make myself buy them new ones when these have held up so well!! I know they're dying to get something different but that's what clothes and shoes are for, right? A backpack is all about function. Nevermind - if I use that reasoning then Steve will NEVER agree with my argument for wanting another purse ;)

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kari...love what you came up with for the teachers! Did you make any extras to share with your Spraground friends??? Your LO turned out great...the girls look so adorable! It just doesn't seem right that they should be back in school yet!

Laurie said...

Your gifts turned out so cute!!! Now where is mine? LOL! I love the pencils on the wrappers. So cute! How could they not like you? Your girls look so adorable in their new little outfits. Enjoy having your afternoons back! :)

Moss & Fern Cottage said...

Good job Mom !! I'm sure the girls love you for all the effort you put into their first day of school and the teachers will apprecitate you as well... Cute treats for sure... you're like me... it's all about presentation (and good taste). The girls look so cute. They are growing up too fast !

Moss & Fern Cottage said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jen Wolff said...

Okay I had to come peek. Those are so stinkin cute!! I've been trying to come up with something different for my kids teachers as they are also my co-workers and I don't want to repeat the same thing every year. I start school the 18th so I have a little time before then. Thanks for helping me to get my creative mind going on gifts. By the way, I see you've got Stephenie Meyer on your bookshelf!!! Oh my goodness I love her!! I finished Breaking Dawn Sunday morning!! It's awesome!!!

Jen-abcmomof4

Unknown said...

Wow Kari, the presents turned out so cute. I really need to get into this digital scrapbooking thing! I guess normal scrapbooking will have to do until Ethan can give me longer than 1 hour to myself!

Jena said...

Kari-Lovin' how your teacher gifts turned out!!! Thanks for the great ideas-I better get it in gear to get something ready for Natalia's first day of Kindergarten on the 20th!!

Beckie said...

Great LO and adorable gifts!!
Why do the girls want to grow up so fast?
I hope Steve is getting his intimidation look and speech ready for all the boys that will be knocking down the door soon!
Yikes!!!

andreamatrix said...

Are you kidding me?! When do you have time to come up with this stuff?! (I only have 6 students you know!)

The Ridings said...

Brinley looks so grown up! The girls look beautiful!

Camille said...

okay. seriously. you have time to make those cute little gifts?!?! what the...you are amazing. and those are the cutest things i have ever seen. your page is super cute too. i love brinley's dress, wow 4th grade?!? that is awesome. i bet you are enjoying your time with them gone ;)

Natalie said...

I'm jealous that your girls are already back to school. Mine don't start until 8-24. They are SO on top of each other. Love the teacher gifts, I wish I had even 1 ounce of your creativity....but alas.... Your girls are so cute.

Anonymous said...

Cute idea for the teachers! Your girls look adorable for their first day. How stinkin nice to go to target with only two of the four! I am jealous!

Carol said...

Your girls teachers are so lucky, they are adorable gifts.

Chrystal said...

You are sooo creative! Love the first day of school page!

Anna Marie said...

I am just adding my WOW to all the rest for those back to school gifts. I love the clear top tins...can you share where you get those?

Cameron Family said...

I have to stop reading your blog- it makes me feel bad about myself!!! Very cute little gifts for the teachers. I actually did think about doing something, but that's as far as it got! :)

Anonymous said...

HOLY MOLY! Those are ADORABLE gifts you made! That school page is so awesome! :)

Rosander said...

K, really? How cute are those gift. I will have to steal the idea and save it for when Molly goes to school! You are so amazing and have such awesome Ideas. I'm luck to know you! Really you are so talented.

Rosander said...

I know I just left you a comment, but where did you get the tins?

Katie said...

Wow Kari, I agree with Alyssa- your blog make me feel like I am not doing enough. You are so great. Love the teacher treats- what a cute idea. And Brinley!! She is getting so old- both of the girls look beautiful.