Running in Place

August 8, 2008

Daddy Daughter Date

It's official - Steve and Ashton will be having the Daddy Daughter Date to beat all others on August 29th. What could they be doing that would make this such an extraordinary date? They will be spending the morning at an outpatient surgery center ... having their tonsils removed!!! I've been told by the doctor AND several nurses that Ashton will be a MUCH better patient than my husband ... like that's a surprise ;) Any recovery tips you may have learned from your own experiences would be great!! Pray for our little family that all goes well and that I survive the recovery process (please note I am more concerned with MY survival)!! Having 4 others home for almost two weeks straight may very well push me over the edge ....

16 comments:

Carol said...

Ohh Kari, I do hope all goes well for Steve and Ashton.
Tips to survive, sorry no help here. Although my DH had 2 wisdom teeth out a couple of weeks ago and when I pulled out the camera to practice he migrated to his office lol.

Chrystal said...

oh boy, you are in for it! I had my adenoids removed 2 years ago, and ... yeah, not fun. I'll be thinking about you!

Jeanne said...

Hey Kari! I've enjoyed reading your posts. You are one busy gal and it's fun to catch up with you via your blog.

Oh my! Looks like you are in for some real fun coming up soon! I used to have tonsilitis (sp) a lot when I was a kid. I secretly hoped I'd have to have them taken out (because of the ice cream). My doctor said if you get it one more time, they'll have to come out. Alas...it must have scared them into working right...I never got it again so I still have my tonsils.

All that to say...I'm so sorry that I have no words of wisdom or help for you when the time comes. I'll be thinking of you and wishing you ALL a speedy recovery!

Lisa said...

Oh, Kari! Both of them getting their tonsils out? Yikes! Good luck keeping your sanity with everyone home during recovery! :)

My sister (in her mid-thirties) just had her tonsils taken out a couple weeks ago. I'll check with her for any tips.

Donna S. said...

Wow... two tonsil surgeries at once.... stock that freezer with popsicles!
I'll cross my fingers they will be good patients for you. :)

Unknown said...

Wish them luck from us.

Jill Knotwell said...

Popsicles, ice cream, sleep, drugs, drugs for you, and maybe a pillow to put over your ears or their faces! Good luck!

Carolyn Hansen said...

Kari, I'm not going to lie...it's going to be brutal. We see post-op patients in the ER all of the time who are in serious pain. Take a look at the back of their throats a day or two after the surgery and you'll know why it hurts. My recommendation, keep them hydrated but more importantly keep them heavily medicated!!! :)

andreamatrix said...

I'm recommending snowcones. Their breath will STINK! Be prepared. Did you find your mysterious phone yet?

Laurie said...

POPSICLES!!!! Seriously, your new best friend. Despite the rumor, don't give them ice cream, at least in the beginning. Popsicles will be the easiest thing for them to eat, plus the cold will help with some temporary numbing. For you, I recommend a bottle of whisky. Ha! Ha! Good luck my friend!

Rachele Funk said...

Not that I don't want to win, but I'd much rather win you updating my blog :)! Love the new look, the new photo and just love you! You are amazing! Your family is incredible and your talents exceed all!

Have a great day Kari!

Cameron Family said...

You should talk to Tammie Z. She had her tonsils removed this past year. I know it was really hard on her (as it's suppposed to be worse for adults- sorry Steve!), but she may have some helpful advice for the soon to be patients! Good Luck! Let me know if I can do anything!

Anonymous said...

Well, now if I don't win, I'll have to go buy some for me-self! I love it, love it. Going to pay her visit right now!
Thanks. Aloha, Sarah

Rosander said...

OH! Good luck! I am always glad when Kris gets home from work so that I have an extra set of hands and I only have two kids, not 4 others and two sick... Gook luck! We will keep you in our prayers! I don't have any good recovery tips... sorry. Let me know what works.

Tezra Williams said...

Oh, prayers and hugs coming at ya!

Katie said...

Oh man! What a lot of work for you. Sounds like you are going to be a full time nurse. How fun for Ashton to get to do it with her dad.