Running in Place

June 25, 2008

Honolulu: Day 1 (June 13th)

After traveling for what seemed FOREVER we were thrilled to land in Honolulu to find our luggage already taken off of the belt and waiting for us - I guess that's the kind of service you get when your luggage arrives before you do (since it actually MADE the flight that you were supposed to be on)! Some of my favorite things I saw at the airport were these:

They obviously knew we were coming and got the sign hung just in time!

How could you not want to go into a bathroom that is marked with a man wearing a tropical shirt?! The one for the women's bathroom was wearing a dress and a lei but the men's sign had more of a tropical feel ;)
By the time we made it to our condo (after getting lost on the freeway in our rental car - a convertible ... so fun!) it was almost 3:00 Hawaii time - 6:00 back home. Most of the day seemed to be gone but we certainly weren't going to let that stop us! Mike & Teisha had gone out to explore and made it back just as we were getting our luggage out of the car - how's that for timing? We got things upstairs, took a quick shower (since we were still in the same traveling clothes), and made a game plan. Before that we had to take a quick picture with Flat Tori - you know, like Flat Stanley of kindergarten project fame? Tori didn't get to make the trip to Hawaii with us but that didn't stop us from having her there with us ;) Here we are reunited as friends for the first time in YEARS! I get to see Tori often but she hasn't seen Teisha since they moved over 4 years ago. Both of them are more gorgeous than I ever remember!!
We decided to go out to Pearl Harbor before doing anything else that day. By the time we got there it was too late to take any type of tour so we got to spend some time looking at things from a distance. I remember going there when I was younger and going out on the monument to look down in the ocean at the ship below. It's an image I will never forget. Of course I didn't take my zoom lens with me so the photos are kinda far away but it's what I got :)

After our time at Pearl Harbor we headed back into the downtown area to take a stroll on Waikiki Beach. It's one of those places you just have to go when you find yourself in Honolulu but it can be PACKED with people!! We got lucky and found it cleared out enough to take some pics without other people in them :) It was the perfect time of day to get these gorgeous views of the beach and Diamond Head.

Then it was time to wander the International Marketplace, listen to some local musicians, and head to dinner. We ate at a restaurant at the Sheraton called Rum Fire. It was a beautiful setting overlooking Waikiki and the pool area where they had a music and dance performance going on ... the perfect end to our first day. We got to watch the sun setting over the ocean while sipping Pina Coladas, eating fish tacos & lettuce wraps, listening to the sound of the tropics ... and smelling the plumerias.


21 comments:

Jill Knotwell said...

What's a happenin' skinny! So jealous that you were there and you didn't invite us :(

Tori said...

Wow! That Tori girl is HOT. Wait...that's me! ;)

Thanks so much for taking me with you! I can't wait to see where else I went!

I'm loving that you are sharing this with us day by day. Makes me feel like I was right there with ya...kinda. ;)

Beckie said...

Tell Teisha she looks FAAAAABULOUS! And Tori! She should wear that bikini everywhere! She's been hiding her best features!

Julie L. said...

Kari--these pics are fabulous! Oh...what a wonderful time it looks like! I SO want to go back for my 10th wedding anniversary--that is where we went on our honeymoon! I'll wait for more pics to live vicariously through you for a now!

Kasey said...

This totally reminds me of my honeymoon. Can't wait to hear more about your trip!

Heather said...

You guys look so relaxed! I hope you made your way out to the top of Diamond Head - DH and I did it, and it was so breathtaking at the top.

And yeah, that Tori looks hot!!! ;) Must have been the triathlon training....

Unknown said...

You are looking Hot, Kari! I'm sure Steve tells you that everyday though! Pics are great! Looks like fun so far, can't wait to see more!

Katie said...

What a fun day! It brought back memories of my honeymoon. I wish we could go back again. I cant wait to hear more about it.

Cameron Family said...

Oh so jealous! Even so, it's fun to see your pics and hear all about it! You gals look SO great! No wonder you haven't been back to the gym- you're obviously taking care of business at home!

Patti said...

Absolutely Beautiful! You, Teisha, Hawaii, Tori even Mike and Steve! Just BEAUTIFUL!! Can't wait to see Maui, Thats where Michael and I spent our 10 year Anniversary...and today we are on year 20! Time flies SAVOR every minute!!

Rosander said...

Sounds like so much fun! I'm glad you finally made it there! I hope it was even more fun than you had thought that it would be.

Lois Michael said...

Lucky Girl. Everything looks beautiful. TFS!

Lois Michael said...

Lucky Girl. Everything looks beautiful. TFS!

Larsens said...

Great start for your vacation. The food looks fab!

Laurie said...

Who is that Tori girl? She looks kind of familiar. I love all of your pictures. Pearl Harbor seems like it would be such a cool place to go visit. Maybe someday...

Brandy said...

Tell Tori great suit & I thank you for the pics! Beaux is loving you every day. Thanks Kari! Looks so much fun!

tbelle said...

AAAAHHHH..... It went by way to fast. We for sure have to get planning our next getaway.
Good times, good food, gut wrenching laughs, sweet tour guides (Jengas), excellent people watching at the beach, and fabulous friends like you to share it all with. We Couldn't ask for a more perfect vacation.
PRICELESS!!!
We love you guys.
The Marsdens

tbelle said...

Hey, Im thinkin for our next trip lets bring Tori along in an even hottter, better lookin form, maybe like the real thing. whatcha think? That would be the shizzle.

andreamatrix said...

I want a pina colada and a fish taco right now!

Anonymous said...

It looks like you had a great time! How couldn't you in Hawaii and with great company! I am very jealous of you, but enjoyed looking at the pictures imagining myself there some day...

Patti said...

OK girl, I know you were in Hawaii longer than a day...We need info!