Running in Place

June 13, 2008

We made it ... to San Francisco :(

Well, our less than perfect beginning turned into more of a bad dream - we ended up having to deplane when they couldn't fix the mechanical problems and told us they were bringing in another plane ... that was JUST about to leave Denver - over 2 hours away! The people from United went back and forth trying to figure out what to do with those of us connecting to Honolulu (there were 65+ people on our plane making the connection - most of them teenagers for a soccer tournament). Would they hold the plane waiting for us in SF? Would they be able to find room for us on other planes that were already overbooked? Would they route us through LA or another connector?

Well, they sent the plane waiting for us onto Honolulu with the Marsdens on it while we waited in the airport. Apparently there were 75 people trying to get on that flight standby so I'm sure they were thrilled when there were suddenly 65 seats open! They got us on a flight to SF that left around 8:30 (original time of departure was 3:40). United wouldn't even give us food vouchers while we were stuck in the airport!! They gave them to the soccer players "because they were kids and they didn't have money." Um ... totally disagree!! Those kids were going to play soccer in Hawaii for heaven's sake - and many had their parents with them. They were hardly going without ... most had laptops, iPods, AND cell phones with them. I overheard one girl say her friend went and got a dozen cookies from Paradise Bakery with her voucher because she had already eaten. I would have liked one of those cookies during my LONG airport vigil!!!

So here we sit in San Francisco waiting to catch a flight to our "perfect vacation" tomorrow. United has been acting like they're doing us a favor putting us up in a hotel for the night and giving us a $10 voucher that we can use for breakfast in the airport while we wait tomorrow. Apparently they "upgraded" one of their other Honolulu flights tomorrow to a larger plane that could accommodate the extras from our flight ... thanks for going out of your way to help us!!! Trust me - United will be getting a letter from me after this fiasco!

To top it all off, our carry-on bag has our cameras, laptop, snacks, books, 4 swimsuits, and a cover up. We were told if we wanted to wait and pick up our luggage tonight (rather than having it sent right on to our new flight) it would take 2 hours. Needless to say we are sleeping in our clothes and won't be able to comb our hair tomorrow - really tough on Steve, I know ;) Guess that is our "what to pack in a carry-on" lesson. Good to know since it will probably be another 9 years before we travel again.

Just got a text from the Marsdens - they just landed in Honolulu. I bet the smell of plumeria is amazing. Can't wait to smell it for myself ... tomorrow. We should get there about 16 hours later than originally scheduled. At least we'll get there in time to hit the beach, get in some shopping, sip a tropical drink, and watch the sunset :)

22 comments:

Tori said...

Man!!! I am SOOO sorry that this has happened to you guys!! I know that being on the plane with the Marsdens was part of the excitement of your trip. Hopefully things will go more smoothly today and the rest of your vacation. You are just getting the "bad" stuff over at the beginning, right?

At least it is just you and Steve...and no kids. Could you imagine how awful that would have been?

Hopefully you got some sleep in SF!Here's to a better day! :)

Katie said...

How frustrating. What a way to start off your trip. But I'm sure Hawaii will more than make up for the rocky start.

andreamatrix said...

Are you kidding me?! Where is the customer service? That is just rotten. Steve rocks, by the way. Alicia was telling me how he was going to help her out before your trip. That is pretty cool!

Moss & Fern Cottage said...

Even with all the delays you've had... I couldn't BE more jealous of you are in Hawaii... I can't wait to go back :) Have a great time !!

Rosander said...

That stinks!!!!! You know thats when you know they haven't figured out what to do with there 4 kids, and made all the plans and arrangements for a vacation. That is ridiculous! Well I hope the trip ends up being the best ever!

Ljonezy said...

Oh Kari - I totally know how you feel. We had the same thing happen to us when we went to Hawaii. We had plane trouble, they put us on a different flight, missed our connection to Hawaii, but our luggage all made it to hawaii while we had to stay overnight in LA! Of course our carry on had no clothes or anything like that. Not even a comb between 3 girls! So I can totally understand your frustration with the start of your trip.

Just remember this is just one part of your trip and the remainder will be wonderful! Have fun and put on sunscreen.

Kimberly said...

Remember the days of trying to do all that with a bunch of little kids?! So glad it's just you and Steve. You should have brought New Moon with you! Hope you have a really great time!

Anonymous said...

omg.....i totally feel for you! those little *&*^a=s!!!

we got bumped to tomorrow for our vacation......how frustrating.......how embarrassing to hear my hubby chewing them out!!! lol!!! guess someone has to!

hope you get there soon! (((hugs))) shell

Unknown said...

I can't even fathom going to Hawaii in the first place! I'll probably never make it there or anywhere else exciting in my life! But since I can't picture it happening, it's not so bad! Sounds like you are having lots of fun!! Hope the rest of your trip goes great!!! Can't wait to see pics!

Camille said...

i am so sorry. that really sucks! especially when you are traveling with the kids. no fun at all! at least you have beautiful hawaii to look forward too :)

ScrappyGuy said...

Oof! Kari, airports have not been fun lately. Sorry you had to endure all this mess. Hopefully you are chill-axin on the beach with the scent of plumeria around you!

Beckie said...

I'm SO sad! My only concilation is that you are probably there now relaxing and enjoying every sight and smell!
AAhhhh! Hawaii!
I can be there in 6 hours to help carry your bags. (As long as I don't fly United!) ;)

andreamatrix said...

SO....did you make it to Hawaii or not?! The suspense is KILLING me. I am totally stalking your blog to see what happens next!!!

Chrystal said...

Ouch! Sorry the Journey is taking so long, but by now, you should BE IN HAWAII!!! I hope you're having a GREAT time!!!!

Carolyn Hansen said...

Can't wait to see the pics and live vicariously. You are going to have the BEST time!

Carolyn Hansen said...

Can't wait to see the pics and live vicariously. You are going to have the BEST time!

Larsens said...

We just got back from Maui yesterday and I'm trying to recouperate from the shock of not hearing the ocean anymore. Just a bummer. I hope the rest of your vacation goes without a hitch.
2 years ago when we went to HI, Alex and I flew separately from Rod, we got to SF, and our continuing flight was delayed 10 hours. My smart 10 year old said, let's find another flight that goes to one of the islands. So we did, and we were booked to fly first class, and arrived at the same time in Honolulu with bellies full of fresh baked cookies and milk and all the good food that they give in first class. Needless to say, Alex was more than happy to fly, and ever since has been disappointed that it doesn't happen every time.

Have fun, and enjoy the wonderful weather in Maui. It didn't rain at all while we were there.

Gianetta said...

Hopefully the airport is a distant memory now! Have a great trip--I think anyone who has made it that far without a vacation together deserves the best one ever (myself included:) I am so glad that Ben is not in the passenger airlines anymore--they really don't care about the passengers, it seems. Sad that packages get more respect!!! Better luck on the flight home!

Heather said...

This must mean that the rest of your trip will be fantabulous. That's right, get all the negative energy out now. :)

Have a wonderful time!!!!

Tezra Williams said...

Kari, just have fun, fun, fun over there for me :)

Laurie said...

Stupid punk kid who won't share her cookie with you!! Hope you finally made it safe and sound! Sorry you had such a rough beginning to your trip. I hope the rest of it is complete bliss! :) Love ya! Have fun!

Kasey said...

Wow, that stinks. Did you realize this was happening to you on FRIDAY THE 13TH????

Hope you're relaxing and enjoying it all now! Soak it up while it lasts. Parents that take grandkids for that long a stretch are saints!