Running in Place

June 24, 2008

Back to Reality

The following entry was written the morning that we left San Francisco for Honolulu. I would have posted it sooner but we were so busy during our Hawaiian adventure that I decided after the first day to wait to post details and pics until after we arrived home. Bummer for all of you, I know. We are home now (sadly), have collected our kiddos, and are trying our best to move on with life ... kinda hard after the amazing trip we had. I'm going to do a daily recap of our time there so don't worry - you'll see and hear about all of the fun we had :) Until then, enjoy this post that is strictly for my own journaling purposes!!

Happy Friday the 13th!

Yes, I realize that Friday the 13th is not usually associated with good luck - the kind we need after a day like yesterday - but I am confident that later today we will be basking in the sun in Honolulu with our friends who actually made the connection yesterday. Besides … one of the last Friday the 13ths we had was the day Cougar was born … after not being able to get into the hospital to be induced on the 12th. Look how well that turned out! Quick, easy delivery that involved no pushing at all and the perfect baby to boot!

We woke up at 7 AM to take showers and put back on the same clothes we wore yesterday … all day. Not the best way to start but at least we had slept in a bed (for a few hours) and actually got to take a shower. The hotel had toothbrushes and toothpaste that we used once we got to the airport. Glamorous, I know, for a fabulous trip to Hawaii ;) We caught a shuttle back to the airport at 8 and got through security with no glitches. Breakfast was provided by our generous $10 food vouchers from United. We bought a sandwich to share on the plane for lunch, too, since airlines apparently don’t believe that food should be included in your almost $800 plane ticket when you are in flight for 5 hours. We met up with the same group we were traveling with yesterday - all wearing the same clothes. Our “new friend” looked at us and said “nice outfit!” I know she was just hoping she had enough diapers for her 2 year old to make it through another day.

The good news in all of this drama? Our plane boarded on time, pushed back at 10:30 on the dot as scheduled, and we are looking to arrive in Honolulu just before 1 PM, giving us plenty of time to enjoy our day there (thanks to gaining 3 hours in flight)!! Our flight is not jam packed because they actually added an extra flight just for us. Out of 182 seats there were only 92 checked in and 30 getting on standby. We may not have had 5 extra hours on a plane with Mike and Teisha yesterday but we have 8 amazing days of jam packed fun ahead of us once we get there.

The funny part? Our horoscopes in the United Hemispheres magazine said:
Libra (Steve) - Traveling to new destinations has a ring of familiarity. Be flexible with scheduling and expect last-minute changes to be the norm.
Capricorn (Kari) - Last-minute scheduling conflicts require you to be flexible.
Sagittarius (Teisha) - Don’t expect travels to be drama-free.
Aquarius (Mike) - Venture out with friends.
I personally like Mike’s the best and believe we’ll live up to all of them in the next week!

Pictures to come once I get to my other camera .. and actually have something worth taking pictures of! I’m sure pictures of us sitting in the airport in the same clothes 2 days in a row really wouldn’t be that exciting. The main difference in our pictures? The bags and dark circles under our eyes this morning after yesterday. Nothing that a little time at the beach won’t solve this afternoon!!

10 comments:

Cameron Family said...

Hooray! So glad to hear you finally got there, had a wonderful trip, and made it back to share all of the details with us- you're completely jealous friends!!! Can't wait to hear the stories and see the pics- after all, I know you look sexy hot with that new "triathlete" body of yours!

andreamatrix said...

I figured since we didn't hear anything else that you had made it to Hawaii. I'm dying to see your pictures. We sure missed you at camp. My favorite part was when Dana said, "And Kari Holt is doing this part in the program..." And I'm thinking, "Do I really want to tell her that Kari isn't coming up and the program is one hour away.....?" You owe me sister....

Lois Michael said...

Glad you made it safely home. Can't wait to hear the rest. Love your comedic take on the whole flight thing.

Larsens said...

Glad you made it to the Paradise. I'm excited to hear about your trip and if you did some of the same things we did. I so miss it, and didn't want to come back to reality.

Camille said...

i can't wait to hear all about it...when you read about someone elses relaxing moments you can escape for a moment and pretend that you were there too. so i really can't wait to see picts and hear all the details!!

Beckie said...

WELCOME BACK!! I've been dying to call you but know you are probably SO busy trying to catch up. I'll be waiting patiently to see the pictures and journal entries you post from your amazing trip!!

Anna Marie said...

Can't wait for pictures from paradise...can't believe our trip to the islands is only 4 months away! I'll be waiting in anticipation to see that great camera in action!

Anonymous said...

Kari, I'm so glad you had a great time. I so wished I had been home! Now you just have to come back!
Aloha, Sarah

Rosander said...

I wish I would have gone with you. Sounds like your Friday the 13th worked out being an awesome day! I'm so glad you had fun.

Laurie said...

First of all, thank you for rubbing it in that you had a no-push delivery with Cougar. That 28 hour drama is still fresh in my head 17 months later. Second of all, I really wanted to see pictures of your sweet second day outfits. What gives?