We woke up early on Saturday so we could go snorkeling at Hanauma Bay.
Of course Flat Tori joined us there and picked herself up a hottie while we were out playing ... guess she got bored reading New Moon on the beach!
After our time at Hanauma Bay it was back to our rooms to shower and prepare for our day in Laie at the Polynesian Cultural Center. Again, one of those places I went with my family when I was younger but I literally have no recollection. Sad, really. The drive over from Honolulu is unbelievably gorgeous ... still wishing we had pulled over to take photos of the views along the way.
I loved our time there! There is so much to see, do, and take in at the PCC. We met our guide, Vai Eli, and were on our way to the Rainbows of Paradise canoe pageant ... after stopping to take a few photo, of course :)
The show was fantastic! There are 6 villages at the PCC - Hawaii, Tonga, Tahiti, Fiji, Samoa, and Aotearoa (Maori New Zealand). Each of these cultures was represented on a canoe that floats along the river that flows through the middle of the PCC. As the canoes move along there are dancers dressed in traditional attire dancing to traditional music. How these people do not end up in the river is a mystery to me ... especially the girls from Tahiti who can shake their hips like nothing I have ever seen before!!! It really is a sight to behold.
After the canoe pageant we got to go through a few of the individual villages where there were shows, displays, shops, and different things to try from each of the countries. We saw a great drum demonstration in Tonga (where they invited people out of the audience to participate who ended up being hilarious) and also learned to weave a fish out of palm leaves. We then went onto a demo from Samoa where we saw so many things - they demonstrated how to make fire and put it out with your foot, open a coconut in record time, scrape the meat out of the coconut faster than you can imagine, squeeze that meat to get the milk - no, the juice that comes out of the coconut when you crack it open is NOT the milk, and even watched a man climb to the top of a palm tree (and back down) with his bare hands and feet!!! It was then onto Aotearoa to see a traditional welcome ceremony followed by singing and dancing in their native tongue and custom. The Haka and poi ball dancing was fabulous. It was really extraordinary to see a slice of these diverse cultures and gain just a bit more appreciation for their customs and traditions. I only wish we had had more time to see everything ... we could have easily spent an entire day there and will definitely take the kids there sometime (although I'm sure they won't remember it)!
After the villages we hit the Ali'i Luau. We were given a lei greeting and I thoroughly enjoyed the scent of my lei the rest of the night! We were brought into a huge outdoor theater where they pulled the pig out of the ground that we would be having as part of our meal. There was a great show of singing and dancing to keep us entertained - although we kept ourselves very easily entertained just visiting with our friends :) They taught us about all of the foods that would be served and we waited our turn to hit the buffet. The food was good but the smoothie served in the pineapple was to die for!!
After dinner we caught the last shuttle bus to visit the BYU Hawaii campus and the Laie Hawaii Temple. I was so amazed to learn about the work-study program that BYU Hawaii and the PCC have that brings so many students to Laie to gain an education, work at the center to pay their tuition, and trains them to return to their home countries. What a wonderful opportunity for these students to take their skills and education back to better their own people. I was really touched to find out that many of them have 90% of their education paid for in exchange for their work at the PCC ... that is amazing.
The temple in Laie is absolutely beautiful. It has such a rich history as being one of the first temples (5th, actually) built, and the stories of the saints and missionaries in Hawaii who have shared the gospel and watched the church grow there is astounding. The building itself is exquisite but the spirit and sacredness of the grounds is powerful. I am so glad to have had the opportunity to go there and spend time learning about how the temple and the area around it were built up and sustained by faithful members of the church.
Now you would think after all of this writing that our day was over, but you would be wrong. We then headed back to the PCC for the Horizons show. This was spectacular. The only bummer is that you can't use flash photography so I don't really have any fantastic pictures to share! It is an amazing musical production put on by most of those who work at the center and it is not to be missed when you go. Each of the villages is showcased with unbelievable dancing. It would honestly do the show no justice to have me try and explain any more than to say it was fabulous. Even after a long, hot, exhausting day I was completely thrilled by what I saw. The absolute star of the show was the crazy little Samoan man who did most of the demonstrations at the Samoa village earlier in the day. You could see every single muscle in his body ... you've never seen legs like this before. He danced with fire, put out fire with his own body parts, and his energy was more than any 5 small children would possess. Teisha and I couldn't resist having our picture take with him after the show. He was completely charming and we laughed when his 16 year old LARGE son came to get the car keys from him ... I can only imagine what his wife must be like (since I believe they have 8 children)!! We also couldn't pass up a photo op with the floral headbands :)
Now I'm sure you can see why it is taking me so long to get this "report" done - I don't want to forget the details!! Sorry for all of the pictures, too ... I thought I was doing pretty good to narrow down to about 30 from the 200+ I took that day ;) Thanks for hanging in there with me!! Then again you probably skipped the article and browsed the pictures instead - I can' t blame you for that!! I know how long-winded I can be :) Don't worry ... tomorrow is a far less eventful day :)


20 comments:
Looks like such a wonderful time with friends and your hubby. Just another reason I love photographs so much... memories that will be around forever.
You are lookin hot, where are the bikini shots?
You both look great ! I miss Tiesha!!! Be sure to tell her hey for me! Looks like a fun trip!
What a fun, long day. I love PCC. One of these years we will take Alex there, and hopefully he will remember it.
Looking forward to the next post.
Oh it takes me back...What a great trip. Loving the reliving of it all...oh and by the way, you are looking fabulous girl...
That better have been a virgin pineapple smoothie or Liv is going to alert the superiors!! LOL! Couldn't you keep Tori under control? Wait until Loren finds out about her scandalous behavior. Oh and by the way, you ARE such a slacker. ;)
I read every word!!!! I have to soak up and enjoy vicariously because I'll never make it there myself.
Thanks for sharing!!!! I really enjoyed it.
Looks like fun! Sorry don't have much time, I'm sure I'll be able to catch up soon though!
Where is flat Stephanie? Did you leave her in San Francisco? She's about a foot taller than that Samoan Warrior anyway.
Looks like so much fun! I am jealous. Yes, we are still on vacation, coming back on Saturday. We are having a blast and am not looking forward to the desert heat! Check out my blog to see Dakota on her first wakeboard run! I won't get around to posting the rest of our trip until I get home- to much fun to be had! Talk to you soon!
Kari your holiday looks so wonderful. You have such gorgeous photos.
That picture of you and Steve in front of the Temple is just amazing!! I just keep going back to it...seriously a georgous picture!
Wow! your pictures are GORGEOUS! Thanks for filling us in on the details!!
So much fun! Thanks for sharing!
Wow! Thanks again for taking me along on this trip! I sure had a great time. ;)
That looks like fun. I'm not liking the once a week update though! You look really great.
I'm so jealous! Looks like you guys had a great time. I mean, how can you not in Hawaii right? Teisha looks great! So do you my good friend, I just haven't seen her in so long! Love the pic with you guys and Tori...only you!
Wow looks like you guys have had an amazing summer! It's fun to be able to read what you've been up to since we never see you anymore. Tell everyone hi!
Angie
love the photos! and , contra to Laurie, i was hoping that WASN"T a virgin drink! lol! miss you!
I'm sitting here drooling over these HI pictures..just wishing we were there! LOL Looks like you guys had a wonderful time! :)
Post a Comment