Girls: "What is your name?"
Cougar: "Curgar" (or something slurred together like that)
Girls: "How old are you?"
Cougar: "I'n Tchew!!"
And so the day finally arrived when Cougar could tell people that he was, indeed "tchew." I know all moms say that it goes so fast and that they can't believe their baby is such and such an age, but I MEAN it!! I know my memory is shot but I really seem to have lost a good chunk of the past 2 years to nothing but the few things I've written on my blog and a folder full of about 10,000 pictures. These are the times more than ever that I wish I was one of those people that was good about carrying a little notebook around with me everywhere to record the funny things being said in the car, the not-so-funny episodes that take place in daily life, and the sheer chaos that seems to take over most days. Lucky for me I am good about keeping a calendar so I can at least go back and see what was "on the schedule" for the days gone by ;) *SIGH*
Here's an unedited photo of the day our little man marched into our lives.
I DO remember that day. I was supposed to be induced on April 12th. I had to call in every hour to see if there was room for me ... which there was not - all day. I was finally told they would call me when they had an open room. I did not like the idea of having to deliver on Friday the 13th but, as luck would have it, the call came about 1:30 A.M. that we could come on down and get things started. I had to be induced with all of my kids so this was routine procedure, but I'd never been turned away for an entire day!! Off we went, leaving all of the girls at home with my mom. The picture at the end of my last post was literally taken on our way out the door. Once we got to the hospital to start my gel induction they hooked me up to the monitors to find I was already in a steady 2 minute labor pattern ... WHAT?!?! I had never gone into labor on my own and didn't even know I WAS in labor! They decided to watch my labor pattern for a while rather than do the gel and hyperstimulate my labor. This was about 4 A.M. and I got my epidural about 8 A.M. - just in time ;) I've been blessed with easy pregnancies and deliveries for the most part so I sailed right along with no complications and my doctor came in to deliver him about 2:30.I will never forget the moment he was born. I love my doctor and we were talking and laughing about the next BYU football player entering the world. He was telling all of the nurses that our son's name was going to be Cougar and that he had the coolest BYU nursery. Every time I laughed I was literally pushing the boy out!! In fact, I didn't push a single time in order to deliver him. As his head was crowning my doctor told me to reach down and grab him ... WHAT?! He told me again and I leaned forward - as much as you can with a big pregnant belly in the way - grabbed under his arms, and pulled him out and up onto my stomach. It is a memory and feeling that could never be forgotten. *A*M*A*Z*I*N*G*
He has been smothered ever since - his sisters can't get enough of him (well, they could do without the hitting) and we're pretty smitten with him, too. He has definitely turned our world upside down and taught us that boys are WITHOUT A DOUBT wired differently than girls are. Anything round is a ball, anything with wheels is a car, anything long is a sword or gun, and EVERYTHING is meant to be thrown!!
For his big day we met Beth and Alex for lunch like we do every Monday. It was Einstein's Bagels in our rotation, which the kids love because we sit on the patio and they can play in the bushes, other tables, and planters. I snapped these on our way into lunch ... loved his Birthday Boy shirt!

After running to playdates, school pick up, piano lessons, and home it was time for me to concentrate on his cake. I decided to step WAY outside my comfort zone and decorate one of those shaped cakes like you find at JoAnn's. I got a wild hair the previous Saturday when I saw a Lightning McQueen cake pan while I was out finishing up Easter shopping and decided to go for it ... I'd always wanted to learn so figured I'd jump in with both feet!! It took a long time - I had to color 9 different colors of frosting - but I was happy with the way it came out and Cougar was ECSTATIC with the results! He sat at the island saying "Kween! Kween!" and pointing with delight ;) I even changed the number on the cake to a 2 instead of Lightning's regular number of 95 - yeah, I was impressed with my freestyle!!
After a fabulous dinner of grilled hot dogs ... a Cougar favorite ... it was time to light the candles and sing to our big boy. After last year's finger burning fiasco he was a bit hesitant to stare into the flames again, but after a bit of comforting and a few "practice" runs of blowing out the candles with his sisters he was ready for his big moment. I'm pretty sure he wished for some more Geotrax :)
On to presents, of course. He actually enjoyed tearing the paper this year and didn't even seem to mind his Geotrax Grand Central Station being wrapped in red holly paper with Santas on the reverse side. We bought it for him for his very first Christmas and he never opened it. It went under the tree again this past Christmas but he never got around to it. We decided it was the prefect birthday gift for a 2 year old who is obsessed with Geotrax and saw no need to re-wrap it!! He also scored some Legos, an airplane, a nerf gun from Grandma & Papa, some cash from Grammy & Paca, and Great Grandma & Grandpa Taylor. Definitely a spoiled little boy!
At the end of it all he couldn't wait to play with his new trains so we dug out the Grand Central Station, his other new trains, and let the boy play. He is completely enamored with his Geotrax!! We didn't even get to eat the cake that night because he was too engrossed in his trains ... it was okay with me because it gave me a few extra hours to fully appreciate my hard work!!
One last feat for the day ... it was time to say goodbye to his paci. He has been my only baby to love a pacifier and *LOVED* his paci when he went to bed (which is pretty much the only time he was allowed to have one - except in case of emergency *HA*). I knew I should have taken it away MONTHS ago but Steve is a sucker ("He's the BABY!") and kept giving it to him. Yup - Steve. Really. Well, it was decided that paci would be no longer on his second birthday. We had him throw one away in the morning and he seemed okay with that. I caved and let him have on during his nap because I needed him to sleep so I could work on the cake. That night came and he asked for paci. I told him paci was all gone. He cried for 45 minutes and finally went to sleep. He hasn't asked for it since. I'll ask him where his paci is and he says "My all gone!" Now he just takes choo choos (trains) to bed with him ... and airplanes ... and legos ... and sometimes Diego. At least they won't mess up his teeth ;)


12 comments:
Awwww! Happy Bday # tchew!! They do grow up fast!! That cake is fantastsic. Is there anything you can't do?
what a fantastic little tribute to your little guy Cougar! I loved his birth story--wow, to deliver him officially yourself is awesome! Great b-day photos...and amazing Lightn' cake--you go girl! What a fun birthday celebration!
Awww... {wiping a tear from my eye} they really do grow up too fast. Cougar is a sheer delight, and handsome to boot! You must be so proud.
Congrats, Kari. Now it's time for another one. Bwahahahaha!
He looks so different, so big! Your cake looks great, and it sounds like he had a super fun birthday! I keep trying to convince Bry on legos, but he thinks we need to wait several more years..... I think he would be fine with them, he doesn't put toys in his mouth! Maybe I'll have to have Steve convince him for me! Hope you all are well!!! and I hope we get a chance to see you and those cute munchkins while you are here ;)
so so cute!! That cake is amazing, although I'm not surprised! Bradley is sitting here saying 'mkeen, mkeen!!' he and cougar would be the best of friends. cars, trains, sheer boy stuff! what a cutie. they are growing way too fast!!
Okay, first of all, you are a big giant jerk for rubbing it in my face that all you had to do was laugh to get that kid out. Laugh? Are you freaking kidding me? Maybe next time I will use you as a surrogate. Okay, I didn't mean it. You aren't really a jerk. I do love you....but still. ;) The little Cougster is just as cute as he can be. He reminds me of a version of Brogan in AZ. I am glad that he had a good b-day and was able to part with his paci. Great job on the cake! Of course he loved it. What little boy wouldn't?
He is too cute! I love how you can still see a hint his newborn face, just a little bit!
It has gone by so fast! Love the cake!
Ahhh, 2 year olds are the best! I just love it when their words start to multiply and they are so thrilled to be able to express themselves. He looks so happy!
I've never bought a shaped cake pan because I feel like it's a single use item....but seeing how cute your McQueen turned out makes me want to go for it. You are a rockin' Mom!
So much fun reading this Kari!! I'm having little trips down memory lane A LOT now because Alex is growing up so fast. LOL about Einstein's Bagels, too.
Well, I thought briefly about The Daily Digi and then chickened out. I would like to do something different than just wandering aimlessly around Digi Land LOL....well, I will still think about it. Thanks for the vote of confidence my friend!
I can't believe how much Cougar looks like a Holt! What a cutie! Our plan was the same with the binki, but with us leaving for Cabo, we let him have it until we get back. Good job on the cake, it looked AWESOME!! I do have some things I need to talk to you about, so I'll call you when we get back.
What a cute kid - and he definitely fits his name! All boy, I can tell! I have to say I am proud of your honesty in posting an unedited picture, because we ALL know how you can doctor things with all your digi-techy talent. That's a moment you can remember for exactly what is was. What a treasure you've posted!
Post a Comment