Our family set a goal in January to memorize all of the Articles of Faith this year. I was inspired by my friend Emily whose parents have an incentive program for their grandkids to memorize them. Armed with that we set a plan in motion - we introduce a new Article of Faith on the first Monday of each month at Family Home Evening. We work all month learning the songs, practicing with flash cards, and simply reciting them together. On the last Monday of the month each of the girls has the opportunity to "pass off" the Article of Faith for the month. If they have it memorized they are rewarded with $1.11 - seems like a silly amount but then they get to keep $1 and pay $.11 for tithing (Steve said "Why not just give them $1.10?" I said "Because tithing on $1.10 is $.11 *LOL*). We then get the opportunity to teach the important lesson of tithing, fill out tithing slips, and have them excited when they hand over their donation envelopes to the bishop! This has been such a great thing for our family and I am so proud of the girls ... they are all 3 for 3 so far! I'm excited for next Monday when we start working on the 4th Ariticle of Faith - especially because it focuses on the importance of faith, repentance, baptism, and the gift of the Holy Ghost. Perfect timing with Ashton's baptism just around the corner in June :) Here is an extremely poor quality video clip of Kendyl reciting the 3rd Ariticle of Faith for you (please note the emphasis on the word LAWS ... it took a lot of training to get that S on the end):
It feels so strange to be blogging during daylight hours, by the way!!
April 1, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


15 comments:
Fabulous idea!!!!! We are so bad about FHE!! We try as crazy as it gets here. Love the $1.11!
What a great idea!
That sounds like a fun and motivating way to learn the AofF & learn about tithing.
Now I know why she was so excited to recite it to me at preschool yesterday!
She did great!
omg...what a wonderful memory to have on video! I also love the $1.11 idea...great!
What a cool family goal. And the $1.11 is simply genius! Such a cute video! So, the goal rolls through NEXT Jan since there are 13? Or are you gonna double up one month?
Great another thing I have to do to "keep up with the Holts". Just kidding, I think that is a great idea, I may have to steal it from you.
Love that idea Kari..I'm teaching the primary kids the songs, and they're tricky! At home help is a must!
That is awesome! What a great idea! Your such a cute mom!
Great Idea!!!! The songs are tricky, I would have hated to be the one to try and make each one work with music!!!
First off, I'm shocked...shocked that I didn't know you posted 2 days ago... What a super awesome idea. I'm totally stealing it and making it mine... Kendyl is too cute!
Holy Crow! That is awesome! I am going to steel your idea! My boys are teenagers and only know 3 out of the 13!! You are over the top!
Holy CRAP! I cannot believe that is Kendyl doing that! Where on earth does she get that high level of intelligence...oh ya, I forgot about Steve..JK! That is an amazing family goal! I'm so grateful to Phyllis (my mom) she sets the same family goals, but this year she now has a scripture for every month. This month is Helaman 5:12 chew on that baby! Check out my blog, I'm back for good!
My parents did this with us when we were little and I've always been so glad to know them off the top of my head. The 1.11 thing is hilarious by the way!
I love it!! We'll definitely have to implement that into our system. Thanks for sharing!
That is a great idea. I'll probably steal it from you! Maybe I'll just sneak into your house on Monday nights and take notes! :) Glad your back my friend.
Post a Comment