Running in Place

April 24, 2008

Cougar Turns 1!!

Okay ... so clearly blogging has taken a back seat to all of the craziness around here lately. It's the one place I've been able to "give" so I've had to let go. Now I'm back and, of course, have so much to catch up on so I've decided I need to break it into bite-sized chunks - starting with Cougar's birthday :)

Our sweet baby boy turned 1 on April 13th (he was a Friday the 13th baby last year) and I just can't believe he's been with us for a year now. Life with 4 kids has certainly been eventful and I wouldn't change most of it ;) We had a fun and relaxed weekend with Grammy and Paca who decided to drop in on us to join in the fun! There is so much anticipation leading up to the 1st birthday ... don't really know why since the only thing he'll remember is what he sees in photos. He couldn't have cared less about unwrapping gifts - we should have skipped the wrapping and just given him some wrapping paper to chew on!! Most of his toys didn't get much attention (from him ... the girls had a great time with them) except for his ride-on which we figured would be the hit - and the only one that WASN'T wrapped! He got a few birthday cards, too, and was great about actually taking a moment to look at them before tossing them aside. Luckily we were able to intercept the money falling out of them :)The 1st birthday cake has to be my favorite tradition of the 1st birthday. I actually went out on a limb and made the cakes. I made a special football cake just for him to destroy and a football jersey (BYU, of course) cake for the rest of us to enjoy. The cakefest started like this ....


Yes, that is my son putting out his birthday candle with his fingers!!! No major damage to report but it certainly put a damper on getting the perfect shot of him with that glowing candle in front of him, big smile on his face, so thrilled with the prospect of having an entire cake to destroy ... all to himself!! The great part about the football cake was that we had to mix so many colors (lots of green and yellow) to create the right shade of brown - then when he ate it (and smeared it all over) it looked like he had stuck his hands into his diaper!! Totally gross and hilarious all at the same time :)Check back tomorrow for the report on my race ... I've already got the pictures picked out!!

23 comments:

Tori said...

Yeah! I'm the first! Great job on the cakes but not so much on the parenting skills. Seriously, Kari! How could you put a flame in front of him and not expect him to try and grap it? Sheesh!

Just Kidding!! (I think Ethan tried that too) Love that you have it on video. He will love it when he is older and will think that it was cool that he did that. Only makes 'em tougher. ;)

Tori said...

Oh, as far as the pics from the triathlon...remember I was nice on the swimsuit one in my LO. ;)

Lois Michael said...

Too cute. Love the cake on the face. I am glad you are back....Happy Belated Birthday to little Cougar. What a doll! Congrats on finishing the triathalon too. I am impressed with you and Tori!

Heather said...

You're officially a Jill of All Trades, my friend! Wife, mother of four, athlete, pastry chef- wow!!!!!

Chrystal said...

I've been wondering what you have been up to! Can't wait to see those triathalon pics!!

Unknown said...

Love first Birthdays!!!! Your cakes look great!! I won't let Bry see them or he'll think we need to have a BYU b-day for Ethan. We're going to do Elmo since any time he comes on t.v. EJ is engrosed and dances with our Elmo dolls we have. I love the pics, and love the candle bit, that is so memorable! Hope to meet little Coug soon!

Rachele Funk said...

Oh, his poor little finger! Happy Birthday Cougar! Can't wait to see Mommy's big race!

Camille said...

loved your cakes. super cute. and i love the mess we let them make on their first bday it is always so much fun ;)

Katie said...

Yeah you're back! I missed you. Cougar is so cute and I love all the pictures. They are so fun to see You are so creative- love the cakes! What a great mom you are.

Laurie said...

That would be why we didn't actually light the candle on Brogan's cake. Funny that you caught it on tape. Jeremy didn't realize that his name was Cougar. This morning he asked me if I could name our next kid Denver Bronco. Thanks, Kari. See what you started? Love the cakes, BTW. Although, I think Cougar told me he wanted a Lobo cake. :)

Cameron Family said...

LOL!!! That was hilarious and a little tramatic at the same time! Yes it looks like you placed his most recent dirty diaper in front of him on the last couple of shots!

The cakes are adorable, and the icing was probably soothing on those poor little burnt fingers! :)

Unknown said...

Okay Kari, just thought of something? Why did you spend all that time making brown frosting and not use chocolate? Is there some method behind the madness?

andreamatrix said...

That really is quite the color! I adore his orange Hawaiian shirt!

Carol said...

I have been waiting for a triathlon update :-)

Those cakes are amazing! Poor little Cougar burning his finger, he was looking so cute.

Tori said...

Great point Triny! Why didn't you use chocolate, Kari?

BTW-Loren enjoyed Steve's singing.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe he is one already. Babies grow up way too fast. The cakes were so yummy looking!! I can't wait to see your tri pics!!!!

Anonymous said...

Priceless. First big lesson learned at one: Fire burns! How much cleaning DID you have to do after he ate his cake?
Nice to read you again.
Aloha, Sarah

Jill Knotwell said...

Christine did the same thing with Hailey. Looks tastey!

Rosander said...

You know Keri, You just amaze me. I don't know how you do everything you do. Those cakes are so cute and I know you are crazy busy, so I just am in awe of you and all you are able to do and do so well! I can't wait to hear about your race.

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday to Cougar! It looks like he really enjoyed his cake and eating it too! WOW! Good job on making the cakes yourself!

John Knotwell said...

Great idea for the cake! Awesome. Happy birthday Mr. Cougie...

Anna Marie said...

How is Cougar one and I have never seen him? That is a tradgedy!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I miss that cute boy!