Running in Place

January 6, 2009

History Repeating Itself

I would be considered a terrible mother and blogger if I did not post just the tiniest bit of our adventure today before turning in ... even if it is almost midnight and I've been working on birthday party invitations for a few hours (to be posted soon - promise). I've actually been in bed, lights out, having read a book in addition to the scriptures before midnight for the past two nights which is record breaking around here. But I digress ....

After a very busy morning of productive errand running I came home with Paradise Bakery for lunch *YUM* and even remembered to bring some home for Steve since he has a late lunch on Tuesday. It was time to pick up Ashton from school and I would have to go back to the school 45 minutes later to get Brinley from choir. Cougar came with me and Kendyl stayed home with Steve since I would be home in time for him to get back to work. I was no further than the major cross street on the way to the school (less than 2 minutes) when Steve calls and says Kendyl needs to go to Urgent Care. **WARNING - THIS IS WHERE IT MAY GET A LITTLE MORE GRAPHIC WITH PHOTOS** Remember THIS from last year? Steve is on the other end telling me Kendyl was "ice skating" in the kitchen, fell, and cracked her chin open exactly like she did last year at Burger King. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?! I've been gone from the house for 2 minutes! We not-so-quickly devise a plan for him to take her to Urgent Care, I will get Ashton, have her get Brinley from choir (since I will most likely not be done in time to pick her up 45 minutes later) and I will race to meet him so he can get back to work. It is 2:47 and he is supposed to be at work at 3:00. His office is 1 stoplight (5 minutes "in traffic") away from home and the Urgent Care is right around the corner from his office. By the time I arrive at Urgent Care they are taking her back. Steve heads back to work just in time to see his patient :) BTW we have the *BEST* Urgent Care facility around!! I take Cougar - who had fallen asleep in the car - in with me and Kendyl and leave Brinley and Ashton in the waiting room to work on their homework and read. What else am I supposed to do at this point? I couldn't drop them off anywhere because Steve needed to get to work, I could have taken them in with Kendyl but I didn't need them oogling while her chin was stitched up ... ah, the joys of parenting and taking multiple children places like Urgent Care!!! They took a look and the diagnosis was stitches - SURPRISE! They put the topical on to numb her chin and we sat and waited for it to work its' magic. About 20 minutes later they came in, started to clean her up and get stitching and she could feel the needle. Not good. This meant she needed a shot to numb her. Having gone through a flu shot last month I knew this was REALLY not good. She freaked at the thought, had to be wrapped up in a blanket, and then a calm came over her, they numbed her up with no problems, gave her 4 beautiful stitches (that will leave another fabulous scar on her chin), and we were done. A quick trip to McDonald's for ice cream cones and we were good as new! Steve said he *almost* grabbed the camera on the way out the door. I guess I *almost*
have him trained! At least I had my phone so I could snap a few not-so-good pics to share and scrap. No editing tonight ... I didn't get a picture of the stitches after they were in but I'll be sure to post once we can take her bandage off tomorrow - I know you'd HATE to miss out on seeing them ;)

16 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks like you now know which of your children is the accident prone one! Yikes, what are the chances! Sounds like something I would have done as a kid "ice skating" in the kitchen, I love it!

Jeanne said...

Oh my goodness! What are the odds of this happening?? She should pick out some lottery numbers or something. (NOT)

I'm so sorry to hear she had a repeat performance, but glad she is stitched up and on the mend.

Hugs to you both!

Natalie said...

MY kids "ice-skate" all the time and so far we've been lucky to avoid stiches. Hear that? It's me, knocking on wood! Hope she heals up well, I have a scar on my chin, in the same place, from those days.

Jill Knotwell said...

So far so good around here. Oh crap! I think I may have just jinxed us!!! We wish her well and just think, she is going to have some major cool battle wounds.

Chrystal said...

Poor girl!

Heather said...

*Shudder*

I don't even know if I'm spelling this right, but the photos are giving me the heeby jeebies! No wonder I'm not a doctor.

Poor sweet girl. She's just like my accident prone brother. The good news is, he outgrew it. So, there is hope, mom!

Beckie said...

Oh No!! Poor Kendyl!
I'm sure she'll be sharing all the details with us at preschool tomorrow.
Tell her I'm thinking of her.

andreamatrix said...

Are you kidding me?! I'm so glad that she's ok. I'm with Kendyl on the afraid of needles thing. I will never again iceskate around my kitchen, just in case....

See you tomorrow.

Jen Wolff said...

OUCH!!!!! I have an accident prone kiddo as well! There always seems to be an entertaining story behind stitches.

Kasey said...

What a tough little lady!

Natalie and I were just talking the other day about how the "1" stitches incident in her family happened on my watch when she was in NY! Nice.

Sara said...

Kari, you're so good under pressure. I've had to leave my three oldest in the waiting room before. You just have to, that's all. There's no other way around it. It's amazing what you can do when you have to, although we wouldn't choose it, would we? Happy thoughts to Kendyl for healing well!

Anonymous said...

Yikes! That didn't look fun! Hey we missed you this morning biking. We are going to bike together again on Tuesday- 4:50 am meeting at the LP. I am going on Saturday also. Missed you and gosh darnit Happy Late Birthday! You so rock!

Ann said...

Well my goodness. You are certainly on a first name basis with those medical personnel. LOL hope she is doing well now. ~Ann

Jen Wolff said...

Kari, I chose your blog to receive a Kreativ Blogger award. The purpose of the award to is promote readership of blogs. So, since I love your blog, I chose yours! Head on over to my blog to get your jpeg image of the award for your blog and to follow the rules. I hope Kendyl is feeling better!

Anna Marie said...

Bless her heart! Hope your weekend is looking up! Give her a big hug from us!

Anonymous said...

Poor little girl!