Running in Place

January 11, 2009

Happy Birthday, B!

It seems impossible that I could be the mother of a 10 year old ... especially since I didn't start having my babies until I was 27! That being said, I AM the mother of a 10 year old - a "tween" as they are called these days. It happened in the blink of an eye. Since that unforgettable day in 1999 we have had the pleasure of using Brinley as our "experiment" child, poor thing! Lucky for us she has been extremely accommodating on most occasions ;) We definitely needed her to come to our family first because she is a great example for her sisters and brother who have come along since then. Here are 10 things we love about Brinley:

1. She does what she is asked - often the first time she is asked.
2. She is an avid reader and can easily get lost in a book.
3. She can regularly be found helping with chores beyond what she is assigned.
4. She is a great leader and looks for opportunities to help others.
5. She is a perfectionist and always does her best.
6. She is a loyal friend.
7. She has a strong desire to do what is right and learn more about her Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ.
8. She has a curious mind and is always wanting to learn about new things.
9. She stretches her creativity by drawing, writing stories and songs, and role playing.
10. She expresses gratitude for all she has been given.The day started with opening her presents before Steve had to leave for meetings at the church. She got a bed for her American Girl (Brianna), a new Webkinz, clothes, a book of hairstyles and tips, the new American Girl movie, and CASH from grandparents!! I made chocolate chip pancakes for breakfast since they are a fave around here. After church we got to watch Chrissa Stands Strong (the new AG movie she got) and she registered her new Webkinz - Cupcake. On the menu for dinner - at her request - was Spaghetti, Cheesy Mashed Potatoes, Green Beans with bean sauce, and Heavenly Breadsticks. Rather than have cake she decided she wanted Magic Cookie Bars! Here are a few pics from our fun day:I've got several other things to post about this past week, including the winner of the M&M resolution giveaway, but my computer is not feeling well (keeps shutting down with the "blue screen of death" - luckily I have my hard drives backed up) and things are taking me 10 times as long as they normally would so I'll add more of our week later. I will post just a few pictures of Brinley's birthday party invites that went out this week ... LOTS of party details to come this weekend (after we recover from the party scheduled for Thursday)!!!

19 comments:

Lois Michael said...

Great pics Kari.Darling invites....her birthday dinner made me hungry too. Happy Birthday Brinley!

Julie L. said...

Wow...what a great birthday for Brinley! Looks like fun! And her b-day party invites are SO adorable!

Christina @ Cookies are my Canvas said...

Oh, what a fun party idea! I look forward to seeing more party pics! I have 2 daughters 7,4 so I'm always looking for fun birthday party ideas! Have fun!

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday Brinley!!! Sorry we didn't call, but yesterday was a little hecktic around our house. Church, Scout Meetings, a rushed dinner, school prep, and too many other things to count. The invites are adorable and I can't believe Brinley's 10, yikes!!!

Jill Knotwell said...

Happy Birthday Miss Brinley! You are such a beautiful girl and we miss you tonz! We do have a little secret we will have to share one day for you.... I know you can't stand the suspense!

Laurie said...

Time flies when you have kids, right? Such CUTE invites! I absolutely love those, my crafty little friend. And good choice, Brinley with the magic cookie bars. Those are one of my favs!

Rosander said...

Wow! She is darling! What a fun birthday! Sounds like it was a really good one!

Jen Wolff said...

What adorable invites!!!!! I am totally weirded out that my 10 year old will be 11 at the end of the month. I had to laugh when I read that she is your "experiment" child. I can so relate!

InkMom said...

What is bean sauce?

And tell Little Miss B. that she is in good company. I have never really liked plain old birthday cake very much and I had magic cookie bars with candles every year until I discovered cheesecake. From one experimental child to another, tell her she's got great taste!

Natalie said...

I remember visiting in the hospital after she was born! Now I feel really old! She reminds me alot of my OWN little experimental child, 2 years younger. :) You are the Queen of cute invites woman!

The Ridings said...

Brinley 10! WOW! It is hard with the first hitting double digits but it also opens a whole new world. I hope she has a great party and that you recover from it soon.

Anna Marie said...

Wow - what a fun party. Can I come? H.B. Brinley!
xoxo Aunt AMR

Cameron Family said...

Happy Birthday Brinley! She is such a sweet girl.

On a side note, can I have my next birthday at your house???

andreamatrix said...

So I would never ever recognize that first picture as you! You are looking pretty AWESOME in your "old" age. Brinley is lucky to have such a totally wonderful mom!

latz said...

My oldest just turned 11--and I know what you mean. They are most definately "tweens". We also had chocolate chip pancakes for breakfast after the slumber party. Yummy. Went roller blading (indoors aroung here this time of year), ate, did makeovers and the girls scrapbooked before bed (that's my girl!)

Ginger said...

Happy Birthday Brinley! Kari, I love the "now and then" pictures of you and B! (Did you know we call our oldest, Kimberly 'B'?) How lucky and blessed your kids are to have you for their Mom! You truely make each day special and unique and they will NEVER forget that! (Especially since your blog and scrapbooks are so amazingly updated and accurate, how could they ever forget?)

Growinguptogether said...

She looks so grown up and adorably cute. Happy B-day. Love the invites. I think my boys would love to have a cooking party, great idea.

Dawn said...

Yes...the grow up too fast...my daughters are now older than i am...don't know when that happened...lol...she is a sweeteeee and the reason she is is because of a great MOM!! (I know these things...)
boston dawn

Anonymous said...

Adorable child! And adorable invites...I expect nothing less from you, Kari!