Running in Place

September 5, 2008

Big News!!

A miracle occurred in our house today that we thought would never happen ... Ashton lost her first tooth!!! She is without question the last one of her friends to lose one - in fact I believe she was the only first grader last year who "graduated" without a gap in her smile. I talked to the dentist about it when we were there last month because I was concerned. I only lost a handful of my teeth on my own and had 22 of them pulled because they were stubborn (and I needed more room in my mouth). I wanted to make sure if that is what needed to happen that we could start thinking about it. She said not to worry for at least another year and that she actually had 4 that were loose (which Ashton had been showing us for weeks). Today she came upstairs to wiggle her tooth for us ... anything to distract from the fact she is still recovering from surgery ... and it started to bleed after Steve got his hands on it. We figured it would only be a matter of time because she wouldn't stop wiggling after that. About 10 minutes later she came racing to tell us her tooth had fallen out! I don't know that I've ever seen a child more excited about anything!!! Of course it happened as I was headed out the door to get Brinley from school but we stopped to celebrate, take pictures, and tell her how happy we were for her :) Kendyl even did a good job of keeping it a secret so Ashton could share her big news with Brinley when she got home.

19 comments:

Unknown said...

oh, how exciting!

Jeanne said...

Yea! This is a big deal! Look at the joy on her face. Love it!

Carol said...

What an exciting day for Ashton.

I was just wondering how old she is? I recently spoke to a dentist about DS who has no signs of losing teeth. I was told because he didn't get any till after 1 year old, it may take longer for them to fall out. But I still don't really know at what age do kids lose teeth.

The Ridings said...

Jordan was almost 8 when he lost his first tooth! That was fine if he didn't have a younger sister loosing them all of the time! I understand the excitement. Congrats Ashton.

Jen Wolff said...

I just love toothless smiles (one kids, not adults);)!

Anonymous said...

story for Ashton: where I'm from (reunion island), we don't have tooth ferry, it's the little mouse that brings us our goodies. Don't ask me why, and don't ask me how come we're not scared to death. And the little mouse brought me a jar full of pink and white beads and a coin. (that's a strong mouse!). So great that they have you to document all of this for them.
Aloha, Sarah

John Knotwell said...

Way to go Ashton! I guess all you needed was a little anesthesia to get those teeth out. :)

Beckie said...

Congratulations Ashton!!!
I can only imagine how excited she was (and the family!).

Unknown said...

Tell Ashton she could sign my tooth chart if she were in my class! Did the tooth fairy come?
Great memory!

Jill Knotwell said...

Its about darn time! I hope the tooth fairy didn't forget to stop by. I know that has happened in our house :)

Unknown said...

My mom would always have to come at me with the pliers! Yikes!!! Good going Ashton!

Anonymous said...

Yeah Ashton!! How exciting is that? You finally got rid of that wiggly tooth. You look pretty cute with a hole in your mouth - just the first of many I am sure.

Rosander said...

That is so exiting! I love the smile with missing teeth. Look at those amazing eyes, I would love blue eyes like that!:)

Katie said...

Oh that is so cute. How exciting for her.

Heather said...

So extremely cute. :)

Cameron Family said...

Yea Ashton!!! She looks so cute! My kids didn't have any trouble losing them, it's getting the new ones in that we worry about here!

Julie L. said...

That smile with the missing tooth is just TOO cute! Catie just lost her 2nd tooth...in the same spot! Congrats to Ashton!

THANKS for your kind words eggin me about the design call -- I really want to..just wasn't sure if I was ready! :) I appreciate the vote of confidence.

Stacey said...

KARI!!!!! Thanks for stopping by my blog my friend!! LOL on her tooth, she's such a cutie. I've been busy....may jump into hybrid with you and go back to making mini books. Congrats on the two teams - that's awesome!! I was a Bren girl, still love and use her stuff...I've got a page coming up in the Oct DST Insider that uses a kit of hers (and September's too,LOL, maybe I shouldn't have dropped off her team? :D Please keep in touch!! I hardly get a chance to go over to JS site, thought about more classes, but I still haven't done Digi In Deep which is kind of embarrassing. Alex's teacher from last year just took the journaling course....I'll ask her how she liked it next time I see her.....

Heather said...

Hi Kari,

It's really fun seeing you do your magic at SM. I haven't heard back from you about the matters we discussed before, so I assume we are okay with them? Just wanted to make sure.

This CT stuff is really addicting. Be forewarned. :D