Running in Place

October 29, 2010

Our Own Jack Sparrow

We knew that having a boy after 3 girls would be a whole new experience, but I don't know that you can ever be fully prepared for just what those differences may be. Cougar keeps us on our toes and I can't begin to relate even PART of the funny/tragic things that he has done over the course of his brief 3 1/2 years with us!!! I wish I had been better about writing them down but that's a story for another day ...

Anyhow - after weeks of changing his mind about what he wanted to be for Halloween he finally settled on being a pirate. We knew it was ok to think about buying an actual costume when he declared the same choice 3 days in a row. Nevermind it was the Monday before Halloween. I scored the last pirate costume in his size on the cheap *YAY* and topped it off with a sword and eyepatch. I'm pretty sure the sword was all it would have taken to make the boy happy.

You've never seen a more enthusiastic pirate than ours. He and that sword have been inseparable for days now. He actually broke it as he got in the car on the way to his preschool Halloween party and was heartbroken when I told him he would have to leave it at home so we could fix it. "But pirates have swords," he said with the poutiest lip ... ripped my heart right out. I headed straight to Target for super glue and a new sword. All was well with the world after his party when he realized he might actually have TWO swords to play with {and the new sword also came with a hook for his other hand ... be still his heart!!}!

Here are just a few pics that I snapped before his party - they kill me. His personality really shines in them. My fave is the one with his tongue up his nose ... he does that constantly. Gross.


Lastly, a video of him singing a song he learned in preschool. He got most of the words right and then did a little ad lib to finish things out.

** In case you can't quite understand it's supposed to say:
I'm a mean old witch with a hat, and I ride on my broom with my cat. My chin is pointed and my shoes are, too, and you better watch out 'cuz I might scare you. I'm a mean old witch with a hat ... BOO!!

Happy Halloween Weekend ... we've got our ward Trunk or Treat tomorrow so I'm sure there will be more pics to come!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

What a cute kid! My little brother used to lick his boogers like that all the time. Gross!

Rosander said...

That is so funny! I love it! What a sweet little guy! Fun to read all about Labor Day! What a fun trip... I love to know that I'm not the only one that would forget the key... It's nice to know that I'm not a lone!

Unknown said...

He's the cutest pirate I've ever seen Kari! Cute photos & video!

Kimberly said...

Cougar is growing so fast! I don't get the sword fascination with these little guys either. We seriously have no less than 30 swords at our house. And Benson still insisted that he HAD to have a Narnia sword for his birthday. Very cute.

Suzy Hicks said...

Kari, I'm dying that this is your 'baby'....he's huge! What a cutie. Don't kill, but I was in AZ and just got home. We kept talking about doing a get together at Jill's place with you and some other girls from her old ward and it never panned out (obviously). Hope you are well, next time I promise!

Natalie said...

He is SO cute! You are an awesome Mommy to get him a 2nd sword, sometimes a Mom's just gotta do it!

I hear you on keeping a list, although I was really good about it, but once it reached a full page I started resenting all of the destruction and ended up getting rid of it. I remember a few things, and that's enough.

The poor kid started having a complex about it. It's hard to be the only boy. They are just whirlwinds of activity and EVERYTHING gets caught in the crossfire! ;0)