Running in Place

September 6, 2010

Happy 13 {and 1/2} Year Anniversary

We actually celebrated our 13th anniversary back on March 6th but since I was taking my blogging hiatus I didn't write about it. We aren't really big anniversary celebrators ... it typically involves dinner at the Outback Steakhouse. We don't usually do gifts, either - probably sounds super unromantical and unthoughtful to most, but it works for us ... it certainly doesn't go unacknowledged, we just don't celebrate in huge fashion like others do and we both like/want it that way. Heaven knows we buy enough for ourselves throughout the year!! That will all change in a few years, of course, when we celebrate 15 years with a trip back to Maui ... worth saving the money from the other anniversaries to make that happen!!!

This year we DID do something out of the ordinary, though. In January I decided that I needed some motivation {again} to get back to a more regular exercise routine and decided that training for a race would be the perfect solution. The only other race that I had ever trained for was the triathlon that I had completed almost 2 years earlier. I knew that the city we live in hosted a run every year around the first part of March so I looked into it ... it fell on our anniversary, March 6th. I had the option of a 1 mile fun run, 5K, or 10K. I knew that in the past I had been able to run the distance of a 5K pretty well (not PRETTY, but well enough to run the distance without stopping) and decided that a 10K would push me harder and farther than I had ever pushed myself to run and felt that would be a great challenge for me.

I talked to my friend Kasey - who had become an avid runner - about training programs and what she had done to prepare for her first races. She sent me a copy of the program that she had followed. It was broken down into 3 runs a week for 8 weeks leading up to race day. I started with running for short amounts of time with walking in between to build endurance and distance. I did most of my training on a treadmill and almost broke down sobbing when I ran outside for the first time and it was SO MUCH harder than my treadmill was. My next outside run was better and I felt more confident in my ability to finish. That was my goal, after all ... to finish the race. Not to be the fastest in the pack, but to be consistent in my training and to finish. My longest training run before the race was 5.5 miles so I worried about finishing the entire 6.2 miles. I really wanted to RUN the entire way but didn't want to be too disappointed if I had to slow down to walk.

My stomach was in knots the morning of the race. I worried about keeping a decent pace because the treadmill had always kept my pace for me. I was nervous that I would get to 3 miles and want to stop because it was hard. I was terrified that I would have to go to the bathroom {we've all heard stories of runners with pee dripping down their legs ... or worse. Sorry to be graphic but these were my thoughts}. I hated the idea of being passed up by grandmas and having people along the side of the road actually watching me run ... and sweat ... and look as glamorous as I do when I run.

My reality was that the race was exhilarating!!! It was so fun to have people cheering me on - I didn't even think about how awful I looked, how bad my running form was, or that I wished I could run faster. I fell into a good pace and the crowds and other runners kind of faded into the background as I concentrated on my breathing and the music on my iPod. Cute Tatum & Abby (two of the young women from our church) were sitting the curb in front of Tatum's house in their PJs cheering and waving me on. My friend Brenda came to cheer with her husband and baby Brody and it seemed like they were there every time I looked up!! They moved all along the course and were at every spot when I needed just a little push ... and they were taking pictures the whole time!! I was super sad thinking that I wouldn't have any pictures of my first running race since I had conned my husband into running the race with me!!!

That's right ... Steve ran the race, too! What a way to celebrate 13 years together, huh? I know ... 13 years ... we should have done a half marathon (13.1 miles) ... um, no. The 10K was a huge challenge for me. Of course Steve's training consisted of running one night a week and playing basketball on Tuesday nights. And, of course, he finished before me with a much better time. I told him to run his race and I would run mine ... I can't talk when I run anyway and I told him he'd look like a pansy if he didn't finish before me. We started together and ran the first short stretch together but once we rounded the first corner he was off on his own and I was falling into my own pace and moving toward my 6.2 mile goal. It certainly wasn't easy but I ran every step of the race and crossed the finish line feeling strong and accomplished ... and proud of myself ... and tired. I plan to run it again next year, too, as long as my old body can hold up ;)

I found that 13 years of marriage is sort of like training for a big race ... some days you easily fall into pace and can go much farther than the day before. Some days you just hope to make it 2 miles. Some days you worry about what you look like, how fast you're going, or if your "form" is any good. Some days you worry about embarrassing yourself or falling short. Some days you wonder if you can push through when it gets hard. But, we have friends and family lining the course who are cheering for us and helping us along, we know we have the support of each other, and we know that when we struggle, the other is there to help us push through and make it to the end. And, at the end of it all, there's something so rewarding about the feeling of celebrating that kind of accomplishment together ... just like the accomplishment of a lifetime of wonderful memories - like our first 10K.

P.S. Our official chip times were 58:12 and 1:04:09 ... just so I have it recorded somewhere. Nothing spectacular but we weren't in it to be spectacular ;)


4 comments:

Unknown said...

Yay for pix of your run! We'll take them again for your 14th anniversary run!

Dang, Steve can sure jump!

Congrats on 13.5 years! Don and I have only been married 2.5 years. Weird to picture 13.5!

Jen Wolff said...

You and your hubby are so stinkin' cute!!!! Love your wedding pictures! Congrats on 13.5 and your run! Both huge accomplishments!!! We'll be 14 years in January and our goal for 15 is to go to Hawaii also (since we couldn't afford a honeymoon). But first, a permanent job! ;0) Love that you are back to blogging!

Kasey said...

We celebrate our anniversaries pretty much the same way you do...and for the same reasons! Especially since ours falls a week before Christmas, there is NO need to throw an extra gift into the mix! We just go out to dinner, too.

Awesome anniversary tradition on the 10K! No matter the distance, I always get nervous on race day, but it always feels GREAT to finish! Congrats!

Natalie said...

Love this post! Congrats on 13.5 AND 6.2! Both, huge accomplishments...and I agree with the comparisons, both are exercises in endurance after all. ;)

PS - I think your chip times are RAD!