Running in Place

May 23, 2008

Some Sign of Life ....

I figured it was time to come up for air and let you know I am, indeed, alive and quite well ... except for the fact that our summer vacation officially began at 10:50 this morning when the girls got out of school. Thank heaven I have Hawaii to look forward to in a few weeks - should keep me going (if swim team every day doesn't)!!

I have so much to post it's overwhelming so I'm going to take it one bite at a time rather than making you sit through a post that could rival a good novel ;) There has been a kid-free, husband free, completely perfect vacation, Ashton's birthday & party, stampers group projects, Mother's Day, swim team practice, a fun mini-album project for a surprise baby shower, our first 100 AND 110 degree days, and a sweet family move into our backyard!! Throw in some church related activities and a few other things at the school, my parents visiting, and trying to actually spend a few minutes with my husband and we've had a busy month! There will be details ... and pictures ... coming soon now that I have "entertainment" for Cougar during daylight hours - otherwise he sits and pinches my arms when I'm on the computer :)

I'll start with posting our most recent family delight ... we have a family of quail living in our backyard!! No idea how they got there (although we're assuming the eggs were laid in our yard and now that they've hatched they're sticking around until they can fly) but we are getting such a kick out of watching them!! Steve first noticed them a few days ago. They hide in the lantana bushes and then wander out onto the pool deck or the grass. We've been able to get a few good pictures of them and even a video clip with Ashton's new camera (will be covered when the birthday is discussed). The girls are so concerned about them. We've had rain the past few days and they have been praying for Heavenly Father to protect them and keep them safe. We got a really good downpour this afternoon which prompted another fervent prayer on their behalf. Within minutes the rain stopped, the sun came out, and all 12 babies, mom, and dad were out playing on the deck!! The girls were thrilled to know that their prayer had been answered and that the family was safe. Brinley said "It's amazing that one little prayer for one simple thing can make such a difference!" How true. Here is our little family playing after the rain storm:


And a few pictures for good measure (and journaling purposes) ... aren't they adorable?!

Thanks for putting up with my absence ... I know how disappointing it can be to see the same post title every day when you are checking ;) I've still got lots to say so come back soon! I'm nearing 100 posts and there will be fanfare! I should hopefully be making the blogging rounds again soon so I can see what all of you have been doing in my time away!

16 comments:

Unknown said...

Kylie loves them!!! They really are cute, I love that the girls are praying for their safety! So cute! Great to see you back blogging, and hey look I'm the first to post! Talk to you soon! Can't wait to see you in a couple months!

Kasey said...

Those are the perfect kind of pets; AKA the temporary kind! Too fun.

Lois Michael said...

Welcome back! Love the extended family, what fun for the girls & Cougar. We understand that sometimes "life" takes front seat so don't worry about us!

Katie said...

Yeah! You're back. I missed you. Sounds like you have been busy- but being superwoman will do that to you. I love the little family in your backyard and Brinley's sweet testimony of prayer. So cute!

So glad you're back and can't wait to hear more.

Anonymous said...

How fun to have in your backyard. Are you feeding them? What the heck to quail eat anyways? I am glad to see that you are doing good. Your life sounds more than busy (I can't think of the right word to describe it). I love Brinley's comment on prayer. Kids say the most amazing things and teach me so much! I look forward to reading more posts soon...

Rosander said...

They are so cute! I love that children can really pick up on that our prayers are answered. It was good to hear from you! Hope all is going well. Have a nice vacation in Hawaii, I'm jealous.

Chrystal said...

So happy to have you back, Kari! Can't wait to hear more!

andreamatrix said...

How cool! I love quail. I'll trade you the 500 pidgeons that live on top of my house for your quail....

Heather said...

Hiya, digital superstar!!!!

Glad to hear of the happiness that fills your life. :) And yes, I've been by a million times, but I knew you were busy. Just glad to "see" you're doing well. (((hug)))

Cameron Family said...

Oh so cute! Yes, that "Race Day" title stares me in the face everytime I check your blog- reminding me that I didn't do it and now I have no excuses! Glad to see you're back online!

Camille said...

those are so cute! glad to see your back...but it's just life right? crazy as always...i do love bloglines, you tag the blogs you read and then it shows you which ones have updated so you don't have to go through all your blogs. i think there are some others too but it has been great for me in taking less time checking blogs for signs of life ;)

Camille said...

sorry, it's www.bloglines.com check it out!

Natalie said...

Love the quail video! We have some quail living around our yard this year too. I've always loved them, one of my favorite birds. I agree with KC too, the best kinds of pets - they take care of themselves!! Seems like May has been a busy month for all of us. Sad to say that it might not get much better with summer break upon us. :) Good to hear from you!

Anna Marie said...

Glad you are still hanging in there...loved the family in the back yard. We have quails too. Don't they just walk so cute?
p.s. Thanks for all the comments. You're dedication inspires me:)

Carol said...

Love your photos, so cute. Ohh to be on summer holidays, hope you have a good time.

ScrappyGuy said...

Kari, Where will you be in Hawaii? I'm headed to Oahu and then the Big Island starting June 26th. Can't wait!!