The girls started school on August 3rd and progress reports are just around the corner. Brinley is in 5th grade and is clearly growing up. She even said that recess is SO boring now because there is nothing to do now that she is older. I've been meaning to get her into an orthodontist to see when we will be diving into that whole mess ... maybe I keep putting it off because I know how expensive it is going to be. She ended up needing glasses this year and just got them yesterday. She had been complaining about not being able to see the board clearly and sure enough - she couldn't. She is still extremely focused in school and is planning to run for student council again this year. She is still taking piano lessons, singing in the school choir, and is taking a swim stroke clinic right now. She really loves to swim and did a great job on the swim team this summer.Ashton started the 3rd grade this year and loves it. She has a few friends in her class again this year which is always nice. She's lost a few more teeth and is starting to care a lot more about what she wears ... ugh. She got her ears pierced back in May and is always concerned about what earrings will go with her outfits. She is jumping into the world of soccer this year and will begin practice tomorrow - officially making me a "soccer mom" for the first time. She is also taking piano and singing in the school choir, too.
Kendyl is FINALLY old enough to start Kindergarten!! She misses the cutoff here by only 2 weeks, so she was really more than ready to go last year. Lucky for her she got to spend 2 years with Ms. Beckie so at least she was getting top notch preparation for her "big" school debut. She absolutely *LOVES* school! She has a wonderful teacher and even with all of the crummy state budget cuts to education she is attending all day - really a good thing for her. She has a class bunny named Chloe who gets to hop around the classroom while they do their morning work. I go in on Tuesday and Thursday mornings to check homework folders and offer my help for a few minutes. It is so fun to get to know the children in her classroom as they adjust to being in school full time. She has decided that tennis may be the sport for her (at least for this month) so she will begin lessons next week. She will probably do the swim stroke clinic in October with Brinley since it has been so fabulous. She also started taking piano lessons in August and she's learning to read music but also picks out melodies by ear! I miss having her with me on our Tuesday lunch dates with Beth, but am so glad to know she is happy to be at school.
Cougar is a mess. That boy keeps us moving at all times. He makes us laugh and scream in frustration. It became very clear the first week the girls were in school that life would be much more challenging with only one at home. I have never had only one at home his age ... I always had another by this point (and no, I will not be having another). It is a challenge, to say the least. He changes his clothes at least 3-5 times a day. His clothes are literally all over the house and it is rare to find anything in his drawers ... even if I've just put laundry away. Errand running is great but trying to get any housework done with a shadow is near impossible - I never noticed how much the girls helped to entertain him!! Well, I noticed it, but never fully APPRECIATED it until now. If I am folding laundry he is on the bed unfolding it. If I am trying to sweep he will get out another broom and mess up my pile. He loves to feel "helpful" even when his help is usually more destructive. And yet we get the best smiles and silly expressions out of him when he is on his own. Lunchtime is so much fun when Steve comes home and it is just the 3 of us. He constantly has us cracking up!! His favorite word right now is "AWESOME," and he always turns things around on you. "Cougar, pick that up." "No, YOU pick that up!!" He cries everytime someone else starts to say the prayer, so we have to let him bless every meal and offer every family prayer - even if we follow it up with someone else (who's prayer he will cry through because he is not the one offering it). He has at least one weekly playdate and is still my Tuesday lunch date buddy (along with Beth and Alex). So much fun and so much work all in one little boy!!Steve was released from being the Young Men's President this past week and called to be 1st Counselor in the bishopric. UGH. The up side to this is he was already attending most of the meetings that he is required to attend now, so hopefully scheduling won't be that much worse - except for Sundays and an added night during the week. He was so sad to be released from YM ... he was really starting to see things moving in the right direction ... but I know he will enjoy working with the Bishop and getting to know the ward members even more. I'm so proud of him. He's always been such an amazing example to me. He drafted his Fantasy Football team this weekend and is looking forward to a great BYU Football season as well - starting with the BIG game on Saturday vs. Oklahoma. GO COUGARS!!! He is always looking for the perfect practice to buy and even tosses around the idea of opening his own. For now I am just grateful that we have a good, stable job!! He wishes he could golf more than he does and still plays basketball on Tuesday nights.
I should probably save myself for another post for fear of writing an entire novel in one sitting. Anyone who actually reads this should really receive some type of medal. Then again, I'd be surprised if anyone even bothers to check my blog anymore. I deserve it. I haven't been posting and I haven't been checking/commenting on other people's blogs. Shame on me. I just got to the point where something had to give and blogging was the easy choice. Stinks, really, since it is the one thing that connects me to the "outside" world and keeps me informed, but it is what it is. A few of my highlights (to spare you the many boring details):* I survived Girls Camp (and even tried rappelling for the first time)
* We traveled to Utah where we hung with family and ate at all of my favorite places
* I took on a co-leader position over the hybrid creative team at ScrapMatters and also help oversee the hybrid design team
* I became a hybrid designer at ScrapMatters and opened a teeny tiny (so far) shop at SM where I am selling my designs - and will be adding more as time allows
* I got to see Wicked again this summer and especially enjoyed sharing the experience with Jill and John
* I was in charge of coordinating the 2nd birthday celebration at SM ... so much work and yet completely rewarding
* I upgraded to CS4 from PSE6 and am loving learning my new software (when I'm not cursing because I don't know how to do something)
* I am still writing tutorials for The Hybrid Chick blog once a month
* I am still serving as stake YW Secretary
* I decided to chair the hospitality committee for the PTA this year and will also be Kendyl's room mom
* I've started running again after taking too long off - schedule took over back in January and after gaining back more weight than I wanted to (who ever wants to gain weight they worked so hard to lose?) I am regaining control and hoping to find some races to motivate me
* I learned to can chicken and have 24 pints to show for it (well, 22 after giving one to a friend to try and using one for dinner tonight)
* I am headed to Utah in a few weeks to meet up with some dear cyberfriends and help out at the first Digital Scrapbooking Experience - as a TA for the amazing Jessica Sprague
* After 10 years I am no longer a Stampin' Up! Demonstrator ... bittersweet
* I can't imagine how I survived (and held it together) before my BlackBerry
I'll stop there for fear of boredom (and sensory overload with the mere IDEA that I even posted again ... let alone wrote a book). The layout of me is actually one I did months ago that I never posted - it's still one of my favorites from my JS classes. I've got a few more pages and projects to post as well as previews of the goodies in my shop, but I'll save those for another day. Feels good to be back. Seems like I said that after I got off the treadmill this morning ;)


14 comments:
so...you're saying i get a medal?
i was just happy to see a post from you since I added you to my reader. lol!
welcome back.
Yay!! A post!!!! I knew you were busy but wow!! You give a whole new meaning to supermom! Did you get my email about DSE????
Could you ask your hubby a question for me?? We just took my dh to UCLA and saw Dr. Hamilton(which my would be trip to DSE paid for since dh lost his job bcuz of eye problem). Which, in his opinion would be the best cornea specialist on the West Coast (or anywhere)??? Our Dr. is trying to set us up with Shandzlin in San Diego.
Hugs!!
Yay, she's alive!! So fun to read up on what your kids are doing. I can relate about Cougar - - boys are a totally different animal than girls!! And I also have had to learn to appreciate the fact that entertaining a toddler on your own is a lot more work than I anticipated!! Although, a lunch date with just the two of us at Cafe Rio yesterday was BLISS!
You sound as busy as ever, and I don't hold your lack of blogging against you! Good luck getting back into a good running routine...I'm working on the same thing myself. :)
Welcome back!!! I always read EVERY word of your posts. I truly enjoy hearing all about your SuperMOM life. You inspire me! As for not posting recently ... I've got you beat by a long shot! I think I'm coming up on a year since I last posted. Shame on me! Not proud of it. But this year has been unbelievably busy ... weddings (three in one year), babies (twins!) being born, work, switching from Primary Pres to RS Counselor, life in general! I miss you terribly and can't WAIT for the next 2-1/2 weeks to fly by. See you soon! Mwah!
Ugh... Ethan and Cougar could be best friends if they lived closer ;) I feel yah there!!! You are a busy woman and seem to just be getting busier as time goes!! You amaze me :) Tell Steve congrats or sorry whatever he feels with the new calling ;) Hope to see more frequent posts so we know what's going on with your family!
I'm thankful for my blog roll, because it tells me when you post!
Sounds like you're busier than ever. Good luck on getting back into the running routine. I've finally gotten fairly regular and am starting to enjoy it and look forward to it - who knew?! I am running my first 10K on Labor Day!
It was so fun to read up on all the happenings of your family!! Your girls are all just so big =) And yeah, your list of responsibilities gives me insomnia just thinking about it =) I hope you are loving CS4, I'm super jealous of your digital scrapping abilities and I'd love to convince you to join the sprint triathlon I'm training for...either Halloween or Thanksgiving, wanna do it?
sounds like you HAVE been busy! congrats on everything - you deserve it!
Well I enjoyed your novel.
I'm SO GLAD about your #9 thing.
:)
I am thoroughly exhausted going through all of your activities - however you keep up, I don't know. (You're the one that needs to show off a medal, that's fo sho!)
It's really great to "hear" from you again. :) Have fun at DSE for the both of us. Man, I wish I could go.
So good to see a post from you! I loved the scrapbook page of the girls' feet on the first day of school...you are so creative...and your description of Cougar at home cracked me up! What a handful he is, but sooooo fun at the same time. Thanks for wishing me happy birthday on FB! Love you and all you do! What a great example you are to me...
Holy Guacamole! You are an inspiration to mankind! I am saddened really by how quickly your little girls are growing up. Brinley in 5th grade? I genuinely could throw up! And I'm waiting for the day I come over only to find you huddled in the fetal position from sheer overload. You really can do it all my friend! Please feel free to donate 1/16 of your energy to me. LOVE YOU!
See, there are quite a few of us who do follow your blog! My goodness. I am so impressed that you actually have designs for sale. (great stuff!) and I'm so envious that you'll be Jessica's TA. Are you still active on the forum? I haven't been there in a while and haven't scrapbooked in even longer. I really entertained the idea of going to that expo BUT I'm 5 month pregnant (Yeah!!!!) so... Have fun! Aloha, Sarah
Wow! You do a lot, Kari! Good for you! How do you keep up with it all?
I so wish I was going to DSE... :(
How cool that you are going to TA for Jessica! Have a blast! Give her and everyone else a big hug for me!
Post a Comment